Hi, I'm looking to move to Houston within 6-9 months and would like some advice on which areas would suit my needs the best.

Asked by krysmiller48, Houston, TX Thu Jul 11, 2013

I'm 25 and single and would like to take advantage of the young/hip/urban/your adjective of choice lifestyle and amenaties. I want to be close to one of those areas but not so close that I can't afford it. I'll be working at MD Anderson and would also like a place without a killer commute if possible. Thanks!

Answers

11
Arnold Richie, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Jul 16, 2013
Hello Krys,

My wife is a RN at MD Anderson, so I know the commute VERY well. I also grew up in Southwest Houston and know the city. My suggestion for you is to look near Allen Parkway. Might try looking close to Montrose. There are townhomes, condos and apartments filled with young professionals. That would put you close to all the "action" places on Washington and The Heights. And it is a quick shot to the Med Center. Since we don't know what you can afford it is difficult to pin down, but MD Anderson is a great employer and I'm certain you will love your new environment. Let me know if I can help.

Arnold Richie, Realtor®
Terry Burnaman Realtors
arnold@yournexthomehouston.com
http://www.yournexthomehouston.com
713-396-2017 281-788-8962
Pamela Bratc…, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Jul 12, 2013
Krys, I agree with Mark. My first thoughts were Washington Ave, The Heights, and Montrose. Also, Upper Kirby might be a possibility, but it may be too pricey. I'm not sure what you'd like to spend, but you have several good choices from the answers I've read. I'd love the opportunity to help you when you are ready to move.

Pam Bratcher
Century 21 Paramount
713-906-5238
Mark McNitt, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Jul 12, 2013
It will depend on your budget. Also, are you looking to purchase or lease? The inner loop communities, where the Medical Center is located, is somewhat expensive compared to suburban areas.

The areas just east of Memorial Park along Washington, The Heights, Montrose, Mid-town area all very popular areas with the latest pups and newer properties such as 1800-2500sqft town homes and recently built apartment communities.

Other areas that might be a bit more affordable would include the Galleria area and on the west side of Houston. Don't forget downtown Houston as it is adding new residential housing, grocery stores and recently completed parks like Discovery Green plus the light rail that can take you directly to the Medical Center.

Let us know if we can be of some assistance. Welcome to Houston!

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
Palacios, Home Buyer, Houston, TX
Fri Jul 12, 2013
I live in the Southwest part of town and work in Sugar land where my drive time can be as little as 20min to an hour an a half if there is an accident! Since you will be working at the MD medical Hospital it should be a fairly short trip from the Southwest side! We had a church member at MD Anderson and visited often with no problems! Southwest side has it's problems but compared to other areas I feel it is a good Chose! I lived in the Spring Branch area and it has gotten bad was broken in twice and they stole everything I owned by time I got off from work cops were no help! I also lived Off of telephone road area and it got so bad I was glad I left couldn't afford to keep replacing car windows from people breaking into peoples cars! My sister moved to Friendswood where she's been for ten years and loves it there but she has to deal with traffic! So for me Southwest has been a good choice been here ten years no problems and easy access to Beltway 8, 59, and South post Oak to 610 a little slow cause of construction but once they finish the South post oak bridge it should be a lot faster! I hope this helps in your decision! Thank you
Joe Cano Jr, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Jul 12, 2013
Traffic? Really? I reside hear in the city, I do most of my work Inside the Loop and I guess traffic can get bad? Although, I can drive in the middle of rush hour in the pm, still I get to where I need within about 20 minutes. Reside in the suburbs most of life, and moved to the city about a year and a half ago. Too late, but now was much better than never. My office is still held in Clear Lake. Yesterday, I waited till after 8 just to return home. Zero traffic, but still a lengthy drive back here to the Inner Loop West U/Bellaire area. My time is very important to me. So, there's two sides to every story. I deal with HORRIBLE traffic about 4-7 times a month.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
joelocator
Jordana Ford, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Jul 12, 2013
I'd start with Midtown because it has that vibe. Work would be just a few minutes away. Also, EaDo is very hip and the development is going fast over there. It's close to the sports venue's in town, big parks and it's minutes from the med center. A lot will depend on your budget.
Deja Land, Agent, Bellaire, TX
Fri Jul 12, 2013
Al - lol. So true! Welcome to Houston... Welcome to traffic! If you learn how to time it you can avoid good portions of the heavier traffic periods.

As a Houstonian we overlook the traffic for everything else Houston has to offer!
Al Geffon, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Jul 12, 2013
Krys ...

You've gotten some great information from Deja. Unfortunately, there's really no way around the horrific commute, especially to and from Medical Center at rush hours. If you're fortunate enough to be working at non-traditional times, you'd be 10-15 minutes away from pretty much anywhere.

Some questions ...

Are you looking to lease or purchase? For the moment, I'll assume the former.
What is your budget?
Preference as to single-family home, townhouse, condo, apartment complex, etc..
How many bedrooms/bathrooms ... some 1 br. units can be really small.
Are there any pets? Do you smoke?
Are there any credit or previous landlord/tenant issues?
Will you have sufficient cash for both the security deposit and first month's rent?

In any situation, you'll need to be prepared to act quickly, as the good rental units are gone almost as soon as they become available. I'd begin the search in earnest about 45 days prior to your move.

Please note that there is no cost to you as either a buyer or tenant, so working with a Realtor, especially one such as myself (my wife/working partner and I have welcomed dozens of new Houstonians over the years) is pretty much a no-brainer.

If I can answer any additional questions, please feel free to get in touch.

Regards ...

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@geffon.net
Web Reference:  http://www.har.com/algeffon
Joe Cano Jr, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Jul 12, 2013
Have you ever tgught of first leasing? I reside, work and spend almost ALL of time here in the City. I have been extremely clessed to know it's inventory and I will listen you your requirements, desires, etc. Please, take a look at my web-site when you have an opportunity at joelocator.com. Thanks and have a fantastic Friday.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
joelocator@att.net
Web Reference:  http://joelocator.com
Deja Land, Agent, Bellaire, TX
Fri Jul 12, 2013
Krys,

Depends on where your budget sits. Heights is a very laid back artsy - ride your bike and stop and local organic friendly restaurants. However, the heights also offers plenty of bars, nightlife, and outdoorsy fun.

Midtown is more urban feeling - restaurants below condos/apts - more contemporary style properties - and super central to the heights, montrose, downtown, etc... Areas in midtown are still up and coming but it's definitely booming quickly

Galleria-
There are quite a few townhomes a little outside the main loop - what's nice about living here is you're still close to everything. The properties will usually be a little older but you can get more for your money.

I'm 28 - I can relate to your wants and needs! Would love to drive you around, fill you in on the bike riding, art events, outdoor parking lot movies, etc.

You can call or text me at any time 713-585-5017. :)

Night!

Deja Land
Coldwell Banker United, Realtors®
5111 Bellaire Blvd. / 77401
713.585.5017 Mobile
713.349.7230 Office
713.349.9912 Fax
dejaland@live.com
Darryl Hill, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Jul 12, 2013
Midtown or the galleria would be ideal given your job and wants. Contact me for free consultation. I can help with house/apartments etc 832.279.6341
Darrylsells@gmail.com
Darryl