Good news: the COE has projected Lake Hartwell to be at full pool by March of next year.

Asked by Debbie Henderson, Martin, GA Mon Dec 3, 2012

Answers

3
lauretta’s answer
lauretta, Home Buyer, Hartwell, GA
Sat Mar 30, 2013
I am building in Foxwood Hills, Westminster, SC on Lake Hartwell. I bought my property 5-6 years ago. Went up and saw that to the right of my property was a mud flat all the way up and around. My property had a little water in the middle. I went to the tax collectors office and filed paperwork to get my taxes reduced by 50% and they gave me something like 20%. If you don't ask you don't get.

I am a wondering....if the Army Corp will not allow you to make a small walking path to the water nor will they allow you to put a small bench down by the water, why am I paying taxes on that part of the land. I am looking for advice how I can file to have the Army Corp pay the taxes on the portion that they regulate. If you don't ask you don't get.

My husband is 100% disabled military veteran and needs something to sit on when he gets down there and at 74 years old I am not up to carrying chairs.

Is the rumor true that they lower the water during the Clemson football games so everyone with a boat that wants to can get under the bridges. Being new to the area I have no idea what the rules are so please clue me in.
Good luck on having the Army Corp pay the taxes on the land your adjacent too. Not going to happen. Your not paying tax on that land anyway, your pay tax on the private land that your home sits on and because you join corp land that has lake frontage those lots sell for a higher price so they value it differently.

You should ask the corp for a handicap permit to see if they will allow some type of sitting facility especially if your husband is a veteran. They use to allow handicap permits so people could use golf carts to get down to the water so I suppose there may be something for your situation.

No the rumor is not true that they lower the water during Clemson football games. The lake level changes based on rainfall and the amount they pull to generate power. If we don't get rain then it goes down quick and sometimes that is during football season.
Flag Sat Mar 30, 2013
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Mon Dec 3, 2012
I like the idea of a full pool.
One that's 1/2 full don't sound too safe.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Mon Dec 3, 2012
Yes, but, full of what?
1/2 might be better!