General Area in Portland>Question Details

Soraya Rebeck, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

Good Neighborhoods?

Asked by Soraya Rebeck, Portland, OR Mon Aug 6, 2012

I don't know which neighborhoods are good and which to avoid. I'm looking for a place on the PDX side of the river. Does anyone know which neighborhoods I should look in?

I’m convinced that all the real estate agents in town have a good idea on the neighborhoods and they can share their own thoughts, as private remarks, when they talk with their clients. The real estate agents cannot “stamp” neighborhoods as “bad” or “good”. As mentioned by my colleagues, a buyer should get in touch with an agent in order to find a nice fit and, also, to do some research, on their own, in the area because there’s plenty of data on anything/anywhere these days. Your lifestyle, your taste, your family needs and many other factors also can make a neighborhood “better” than the others even if everyone says the opposite. And, not the last, the better the area the more money you’ll have to spend for the next house so you need to get in touch with a lender too and figure-out what you can afford (I hope you’ve already done this) and to determine if there are chances for you in a “better neighborhood”.
There are so many great neighborhoods to choose from in Portland and often what makes a neighborhood good or bad is subjective. If you are looking for information on schools or crime statistics go here: or here:

However, much depends on your interests and resources. For example: What is your budget? Do you want to be close to downtown or live on the east or west side of the river? Do you need access to public transportation or like to live within walking distance of restaurants, coffee shops, shopping, etc. Do you want to be in a quiet neighborhood or do you like to be near the action? Once you have a list of criteria and have a few neighborhoods in mind, I would encourage you to spend some time in each of those neighborhoods as that is the best way to know if it is a fit.

You may visit . Also you may talk to a local police station.
Another great site I like is So much good information. Good luck!

Mandy Lewis
Broker, Keller Williams
(503) 522-5803
Web Reference:
As realtors we can not say which neighborhoods are good or bad. If you want to look at school stats you can go to my website. If you want to look at crime stats go to and they have area stats. You might find that the NW up above NW 19th is high in crime for car break-ins so does that mean it is a bad area? It means there are a lot of people coming to the area to park and many more people that live in a high density with more opportunities with cars on the street and no garages to park in. It depends how you look at the stats when you are comparing areas. Good luck.
Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group
Westside? Try Muktnomah, East try Hawthorne, Irvington, Laurelhurst or RoseCity. Really depends on your pricerange.