East Bay Cities/Towns with largest average lot sizes.

Asked by Bill, Livermore, CA Sat Aug 25, 2007

Where in the East Bay should I focus a search if having more that 1/2 acre yard is the most important aspect and I want to stay under $1MM?

Answers

4
Jessica Stew…, , 94550
Thu Mar 13, 2008
There is no straight answer to your question. Each town will have developments and pockets with larger lots sizes, your Realtos will be able to point these out for you. What would you like to do with this lot? Does the entire lot have to be useable? Flat? What home amenities are you looking for? Each community is going to offer a unique living style, what is going to be the most cohesive and complimenery with your own?

As already stated, Pleasanton, Danville, Alamo, and San Ramon would take some bargain hunting to fine something under a million that isn’t a shack or 20 years behind the times. But it does exist. Keep in mind, these communites are very sought after thus appreciate well and will prove this in the resale vaule. Livermore would be attainable and you would get a little more for your money, although you will be further East in the valley. With a great new downtown, busteling wine industry, and tons of recreational parks don’t count Livermore out. Check out http://www.livermoredowntown.com for some of the going-on's

Going over the hill to Tracy, Brentwood, Discovery Bay, or Oakley would be an option. But do remember, it’s cheaper out there because the demand is less and there is much more inventory; be weary of your resale value. When talking about an investment, this may not be the best choice to put your money. Plus the convenience factor is gone. Try commuting those 17 extra miles on a one-lane road with hundreds of thousands of other motorist - not fun and very time consuming.

If a commute is a factor, keep your quality of life and enjoy that half acre by staying in the Tri-Valley -- it will prove to be a much better buy for your time and money. If you are looking to get the most amenities for your dollar and resale nor commute is factor do the give the communities around Brentwood and even Tracy a look. Take your time explore each community and what it can offer to your life style. Don’t get caught up concentrating on lot size, you will find the right property eventually no matter where you are looking… it might just take more time in the more affluent areas. Persoanlly, I would concentrate on Livermore and Pleasanton -- but I am baised!

Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Sun Aug 26, 2007
Bill....

If you are working with a Realtor they can put your request into the MLS and find those specific properties for you.

Where would you prefer to live? How much commute would you like? Areas live Brentwood, Antioch are 1.5 hours away from some of the employment areas. What are you going to use the land for?

If you could answer a few of these I can narrow down the search for you. Drop me an email.
Web Reference:  http://pamwinterbauer.com
The Hagley G…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Sun Aug 26, 2007
There are some communities with larger lots.....including San Ramon, Danville, Lafayette, Alamo, etc....but keeping it under $1MIL is going to be the issue.
Web Reference:  http://www.cindihagley.com
#1, , San Francisco Bay Area
Sat Aug 25, 2007
The 1/2 acre mark is attainable in Livermore for under $1,000,000 but you will only find one here... one there. Last year you couldn't find a home on a 1/2 acre lot in Livermore for under $1,000,000.

Your focus for this type of property should be in the Brentwood, Byron, Oakley area which is 17 miles east of Livermore. There you will find many more homes on larger lots and the homes are also much larger and they are also newer.

I was showing property yesterday in Livermore and Brentwood. In Livermore there were two homes on 1/2 acre lots under $1,000,000. The homes were @ 2,400 - 2,800 sq. ft., one built in 1997 and one built in 1963.

Just 20 minutes across Vasco Road there were 9 homes ranging in square feet from 2,800 to 3,800 sq. ft. They were newer homes (2 - 6 yeard old) and two of them were single story. Antioch also had a few homes with over 1/2 acre lot. There are also older ranch style homes in Brentwood, Antiock, Oakley and Bether Island under $1,00,000 on 1 - 5 acres if you are considering rural property. You can search the MLS for these homes at my website noted in Web References.

I hope this helps.

Ed
Web Reference:  http://www.edmonaghan.com