Does Atlanta get alot of hurricane or natural disasters.?

Asked by Junior, Philadelphia, PA Sat Jun 21, 2008

Answers

13
Michelle DeR…, , 30606
Mon Jun 23, 2008
Atlanta is far enough inland that "hurricanes" do not specifically affect it. However, we get a lot of rain and high winds from hurricanes which usually are downgraded to tropical storm status by the time they reach our area.

Per the GA Emergency Management Agency (see link below) "Because of its location, Georgia is vulnerable to severe tropical storms forming in both the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. Hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30." The site below shows some interesting stats on natural distasters and their frequency in Georgia.

So wee do see some tornadoes and high wind damage in the area, but nothing in comparisiion ot Alabama & Florida.
James Dudley, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Mon Jun 23, 2008
Junior,

We are a pretty calm state when it comes to weather. Compared to Florida and Kansas we are a safe bet when it comes to these issues.

Are you considering moving to the Atlanta area? I would be glad to assist you with your home search.
Vjarowdy, Home Buyer, Alpharetta, GA
Thu Nov 17, 2016
Except for the crappiest drivers and the nastiest traffic, Atlanta is a natural disaster free city in the south
Megan Primro…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Sun Jul 14, 2013
Atlanta does not typically get extreme weather. We can sometimes get some bad thunder storms but most states do. As far as hurricanes that is not something we see here. In past winters we did see a little snow which is odd for how south we are. But for the most part we have very calm weather compared to other states like Florida.
Bruce Ailion, Agent, Marietta, GA
Tue Jul 9, 2013
Relatively disaster free, at 1000 ft above sea level, global warming is not a great concern.

Bruce
dvanderville…, Renter, Atlanta, GA
Sun Jun 23, 2013
i have not lived there but as ive read it seems great !!!!!!!!!!!!
Chucky, Home Owner, Atlanta, GA
Sun May 13, 2012
I live in Atlanta, its the best place I can ever dream of. I've been wanting to live in Atlanta for as long as I can remember. Its like a dream home ! And of course Georgia don'nt have this kind of weather ! No tornasoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, perfect steaming hot weather !
Dreammaker745, , Atlanta, GA
Tue Jun 30, 2009
No Hurricanes in Atlanta to far inland. However we do experience quite a bit of tropical weather. Mostly in the spring time. We can get flash flooding from time to time and even a earthquake (very small) hit about 7 years ago but other than brutal summer heat and humidity (90 and above) The weather is quite mild here. Great place to live!
David Wilson, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Tue Jun 24, 2008
Atlanta is fortunate to be nestled in the valley east of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Hurricanes are not frequent here in Atlanta nor are Natural Disasters. In living here for 14 years, I HAVE seen "tropical systems" move through Atlanta where high winds, >40 MPH, and localized flooding occur. This has occured around 3 times in the past 10 years.

Recently, a tornado, F2, ripped through downtown Atlanta causing damage to windows and the Fulton Cotton Mill Lofts as well as one in Woodstock which cut some trees in half and pelted some homes with 2" hail.

Altanta typically has severe thunderstorms in the spring and fall seasons when a weather front passes through and has high humidity in the summer. Another fact to consider when moving to a particular area around Atlanta is whether/ or not the city has a Warning Siren. most cities around Atlanta which had systems in place have let them fall to disrepair because of budget constraints and lack of public concern. Of late, this is slowly changing.
Natascha Katz, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Mon Jun 23, 2008
Very rare. Occasionally there will be a tornado or two but in my 46 years living in Atlanta, my father, 67 years and my Grandmother, 87 years (all Atlanta natives) we have never been hit by a tornado. Maybe that can help let you know the odds of being hit by one.
Web Reference:  http://www.purrfecthome.com
Joshua Jarvis, Agent, Duluth, GA
Sun Jun 22, 2008
Hurricanes?

I get this question a lot from people in Florida, but I guess I'm the only one willing to say, NO. Unless you are on the coast, Hurricanes are NOT a problem. They are tropical depressions by the time they get to Georgia or at least the metro Atlanta area.

Other than flash floods, tornadoes are the only major "natural disaster" to look out for. There are conditions that make tornadoes more likely, but overall there isn't a good area to look for in terms of avoiding them.
Web Reference:  http://www.gahomesdigest.com
Aleta C. Sau…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Sun Jun 22, 2008
Are you planning to move here? Atlanta still has wonderful weather. We do get tornadoes from time to time in different areas around Metro Atlanta. As Ed said, we did have a tornado touch down in downtown Atlanta not long ago. The weather channel is headquartered in Atlanta. You can check them out at http://www.weather.com. If I can assist you in any real estate matters, please do not hesitate to contact me.
hi Aletamy. name is Lori im from California and im thinking about relocating to alanta when I retire witch will be in about 6 years .im lookin at Atlanta because I think my money will go longer cali is to high for me to retire in ,but I am scared to death of tornadoes its my wirst night mare.seems like people who live in the east are always having to relocate. Im a pretty stable person don't like to move much and I like the city im currently I live in concord ca (the bayaera) 25 miles from san Fransisco we have great weather all the time but no snow or tornadoes.
Flag Fri May 16, 2014
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Sat Jun 21, 2008
How do you define the word "alot?"

Junior - does Philadelphia get alot of hurricane or natural disasters?

The weather channel is headquartered in the A. I would suggest that you ask them in lieu of a bunch of real estate enthusiasts.
Web Reference:  http://www.weather.com
atlanta is full of liberals... fair warning
Flag Mon Oct 10, 2016