Do any realtors believe purchasing a home in Reading is a good idea because of the crime and negative economic situation in the city?

Asked by Loracny, Reading, PA Mon Mar 19, 2012

I currently rent a 1000 sq ft, 2 BR, 1.5 Bath townhome in Shillington & me & my two children have outgrown it. I have been searching & looking at townhomes in the 19602 zip code, across the street from RACC/ Penn St/bridge area & area right over the bridge on Lancaster/422 over the last two months. I have been attracted to these areas since I feel they are not too deep into the city and are not expensive since most range from 49-50K , which would reduce my monthly significantly from what I pay now to rent. The townhomes I have seen in these areas also have an average of 2000sq ft (give or take) with 1.5 or sometimes 2baths.
My friends & family believe that I shouldn't live "across the bridge" because of the negativity surrounding Reading & advise if I should want to re-sell in the future, it wouldn't sell at a profit. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does the City of Reading plan on doing anything to improve the city to attract future home buyers like me?

Answers

5
Loretta Leib…, Agent, West Lawn, PA
Thu Aug 30, 2012
With such low home prices, it is a great time to buy in the city, and there are a tremendous amount of investment opportunities. But if you are concerned, I would suggest spending some time in the area you are thinking of buying in. Drive through the area on different days and at different times. Get a feel of the dynamic for yourself. Stop and talk to some of the neighbors. There are some great people in the city who want to make their community something to be proud of.
Loracny, Home Buyer, Reading, PA
Mon Mar 19, 2012
Thank you Mr. Mattes, I appreciate your response. I have been doing my homework, so to speak, & your input is appreciated.
David Mattes, , Wyomissing, PA
Mon Mar 19, 2012
As a firm believer in the city's ability to eventually turn around, I want to say that yes, it is a good idea to buy a home in the city. I believe that pride in home ownership and the desire to own a home instead of renting should be the main motivator for you to decide to buy or not. There are other benefits as well though.
Values are down and at some point values will go back up again. Even within the city limits. With interest rates and prices being down, there will not be a better time to buy in the foreseeable future in my opinion. There certainly are some nice areas in Reading and the city has a lot to offer.
My suggestion is to take a look at a few of the homes that fit in to your price range and get an idea of condition and what you get for the money. I would be happy to do that for you and talk to you about it further.
email me at dmattes@goberkscounty.com if you have any questions or comments.
Peter Gustis, Agent, Exton, PA
Mon Mar 19, 2012
over 50% of my business is in the city of reading. I firmly believe that problem people attract problems. People that keep to themselves don't tend to have problems. I know lots of people that live in the city of reading that don't have problems. If you have questions my website is below. my cell phone is here 570-640-3535.
Web Reference:  http://www.PeteGustis.com
Thank you for your comment Mr. Gustis. I do agree with your point of view.
Flag Mon Mar 19, 2012
Nicole Calle…, Agent, Temple, PA
Mon Mar 19, 2012
The city generally gets a pretty bad reputation but while there are some areas that do have more problems (which can be said of pretty much anywhere) there are many areas that have few to no problems. When you are looking for a home anywhere you should feel comfortable in the home and in the neighborhood. Use every resource available to you to determine if that home would fit the lifestyles of you and your family.
I would be happy to answer any questions you have about finding the perfect home. Please give me a call at 570-862-9319.
Thank you Ms. Callender for taking the time to comment.
Flag Mon Mar 19, 2012