Do I really need the MLS to lease a home for $3900 and above - if I use CL and Westside Rentals?

Asked by Idelle Musiek, Studio City, CA Wed Jul 9, 2008

When advertising a lease for a family home in the $3900 range and up, what percentage of renters use the MLS (go through a realtor)? It costs a lot more to use the MLS and I'm concerned I'll get someone who wants a house temporarily before buying another house. The bottom line question . . . and be objective here. . . can I rent the house nearly as easily and quickly through craigslist, Westside Rentals, etc.?

Answers

5
Jonelle Bech…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Tue Jun 16, 2009
Hi Idelle,

The more options the better! Call me 818-605-3204 Jonelle Bechard
, ,
Fri Jun 12, 2009
Youre doing the right thing. I own many homes and all my tenants are from craigslist.
If its hard for you to find a tenant there so lower the price.
Number one reason why landlord cant rent their properties is high asking price.
These days the rents went down so you have to lower yours as well.
I'm telling you you will rent it quick.
Where is your property at? I might have someone for you.
Web Reference:  http://homesinsale.com
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Fri Jul 18, 2008
Idelle
I think your question is one of those time and money questions.
Many investors who own rental property use Craigslist for advertising. The value of a Realtor is that you have someone else who is showing the property, screening the applicants, answering questions, etc. If you have the time and desire, then I don't see why you should not proceed on your own.

OTOH, if you have a busy schedule, then do the math and see what makes sense.
Charlotte La…, Agent, Encino, CA
Thu Jul 17, 2008
I would strongly suggest listing it in the MLS due to the lease price. Lower priced leases (say under $3000) do fine with Westside Rentals. Tenants searching for higher priced rentals tend to go through an agent and the MLS. I don't know the percentage, but as a Realtor, my lease listings are put in both Westside Rentals and the MLS. The higher priced properties are leased through the MLS about 99% of the time. The lower priced ones tend to go first through Westside Rentals. I personally think CraigsList is a waste of your time; at least it has never worked for me. Good luck. Charlotte Laws of Prudential in Studio City.
Web Reference:  http://www.YourTopBroker.com
Dot Chance, Agent, Burbank, CA
Wed Jul 9, 2008
This seems to be a duplicate question....Dot