DOES A RENTAL PROPERTY OWNER/LANDLORD HAVE THE RIGHT TO FINE TENANTS FOR WHATEVER RULES THEY INVENT?

Asked by Mona, Selma, CA Sat Aug 30, 2008

MY APARTMENT MANAGER AND OWNER ARE CONSTANTLY FINE/CHARGING ME FOR THINGS LIKE PAINTING MY FRONT DOOR WITHOUT PERMISSION, PARKING IN A STALL OTHER THAN MINE, LATE RENTAL FEES EVEN IF MONEY ORDER IS DATED NO LATER THAN THE LATE CHARGE DAY, ALSO FOR THEM INSTALLING MY LIVINGROOM WINDOW AND REPLACEMENT IN WHICH I DID NOT BREAK. SEEMS LIKE THEY CONTINUOUSLY FINE ME . IF I DONT PAY IT, THEY GIVE ME A 3 DAY NOTICE OR TAKE IT OUT OF MY RENT WHICH MAKE MY RENT SHORT & LATE. THEN ALSO CHARGING ME LATE CHARGES. BY THE TIME IM NOTIFIED IT IS PAST THE RENT DUE DATE KICKING IT INTO A DATE OF WHICH IS LATE, 3RD OF THE MONTH. PLEASE HELP IVE HAD IT WITH THESE PEOPLE!! ALSO I CANT AFFORD IT ON SSI AND SECTION 8.

Answers

1
Barry Lynn M…, , Trussville, AL
Tue Sep 2, 2008
I would start with fully reading your lease contract and if you can't understand it you should contact an attorney to help you better understand your lease. Your header was can they charge for things they invite the answer is NO they can only charge you per the lease contract and if for some reason they operate outside the lease they are in the wrong- but its like this if you get an attorney involved be aware of the beast you might awaken if they are this bad and you haven’t got on the bad side. Honestly and I pray you don't take it the wrong way in today’s market if you pay on time and your not the problem most landlords are very forgiven and to anything to keep good tenants so for some reason it sounds like they are trying to run you off or someone in the office is trying to look good for the bosses by whipping a tenant into shape so to say I HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK

Another thing why rent when the government has special loans for low income families where they subsidize your payments