Considering a transfer to Tampa

Asked by Mslyon25, Oshkosh, WI Wed Nov 13, 2013

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to read this :). My fiancé has gotten a job offer to transfer down to a new facility in Tampa. We are getting married in 2 weeks and just found out we have a baby on the way!! Yay! Needless to say this is an exciting time but very stressful!
We are looking for opinions on where to live. Our biggest concerns (these days lol) are school districts. Though we wouldn't be opposed to private schools... Close to activities and parks, just things to do. We would ideally like a decent yard because we have a lab that needs his exercise, and we also like our privacy. Price point we are hoping for would be up to 250k

Thank you for any and all help you can give!!! It is truly appreciated. We have one week to decide.

Answers

14
Laurel Birch Kilgore’s answer
Laurel Birch…, Agent, Tampa, FL
Sun Nov 17, 2013
Price point and great schools are important considerations. There are ratings for schools but everyone has their own ideas about what they want from a great school. As a guide, check out http://www.greatschools.org for Tampa that lists top-rated schools, gives guidelines on different criteria that makes a great school, and maps to locate them.

Once you choose a couple schools I would suggest you look at the catchment areas for public schools (google the names of the school and catchment area or County website)... or areas surrounding private schools. Then you can find the neighborhoods with houses in your price range.

As a rule, outlying areas will have more new houses and better prices per square foot, and larger yards than more urban areas like South Tampa and Temple Terrace. You can buy a 2000 square foot newer house in your price range northeast, northwest and east of Tampa.

If you will be working anywhere near downtown you will want good transportation. Brandon area has homes in your price range and the Crosstown Expressway to downtown, as an example. You could also live in Pinellas County over the bridge and be closer to the beaches.

The traditional old community is South Tampa close to downtown, and another popular option for families is in the old Carrolwood area west of University of South Florida and Busch Gardens.

Once you do some research contact me. I specialize in relocation, having moved to Tampa three years ago from Scotland. There is so much to consider! But Tampa is a good place to be, with loads of amenities and proximity to world class attractions. You will love it!

Laurel Birch Kilgore
Smith and Associates Real Estate
lbirchkilgore@smithandassociates.com
Mike Hojnaski, Agent, Tampa, FL
Thu Nov 21, 2013
You would love it here we relocated 2 years ago and rented a corporate apartment. we found the west chase area to be real nice. its roughly 20 years old. most of the homes newer. my is 2007 and i paid 210. prices are up a bit. really look were you work traffic can be rough somtimes. lots of private schools. my daughter is in one.plus your stress should go away no snow,shoveling, sand castle building,and disney for your baby.also lots of friends visit get at least 3 to 4 bdrm. give me a call 973-809-3966 mike hojnaski
Mike Hojnaski, Agent, Tampa, FL
Thu Nov 21, 2013
Andy Wood, , Florida
Tue Nov 19, 2013
Congratulations! Lots of great things happening in your life! Tampa is a great and absolutely beautiful city and we have a lot of great schools and communities. I have to ask a question though, what do you and your husband like to do for fun and where is he going to be located for work? We do have some great properties a little on the outskirts for less money, however, if you are a social bug and like to be close to a lot of things, that is something to consider. The traffic can be horrific in some of those places and coming from someone who lived in Fishhawk Ranch and only made it 6 months, it is something to seriously consider before buying. Some communities look amazing on paper but if you have a long commute, depending on the direction, the traffic can be unbearable!

Just something to consider. I am not a Realtor with listings so I have no skin in the game. Just wanted to give you my 2 cents from someone who likes to be close to everything and gave living way out a very brief chance!

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you. I am in the financing end and can do your loan for you, however, sometimes I think it's best to come into a new city and rent for a few months so you can check out the areas for yourself and what is most fitting for you and your family.

Best of luck to you and your new family!

Andy Wood
727-410-9663
awood@titanhl.com
http://www.titanhl.com
Stephanie Ad…, , Tampa, FL
Thu Nov 14, 2013
I would highly recommend you to look into the Westchase area. That area has a great school system along with lovely homes with large back yards. i believe that would be the optimal area for you and your baby ont the way! Congratulations! Please let me know if you need any assistance with financing. I am a senior loan offier here in Tampa Fl with Residential Finance Corporation. I will get you pre-qualified and ready to shop for your dream home.

Warm Regards,
Stephanie Adams
Senior Loan Officer

Residential Finance
813.316.2172 Direct
800.930.7334 Ext 1477
877.813.7519 Fax
stephanie.adams@residentialfinance.com
Individual NMLS ID: 1001484
Jose Mejia, Agent, Tampa, FL
Thu Nov 14, 2013
Hi There! Our Team would love to help!

One thing I should disclose - I moved to Tampa from Minnesota in 2008. So I hope you don't disqualify me because of it! :) I am a Aaron Rodgers fan if that helps!

There are many places here in Tampa that you enjoy to live in based on the brief overview that you provided. There are definitely more things we have to ask you to make sure we getting you in the areas that you would like. Current Child's age, grade, what activities does he/she participate in, where your husband's job is located, etc.

In regards to financing - we have established relationships that we have build over time as find trustworthy sources was difficult initially. We now have specific lenders that we utilize that would cater to different families needs. One example of a remarkable lender is someones who communicates efficiently, educates, delivers market rates and VERY low closing costs. And they do close in 2 weeks! This can give you an upper hand in negotiations.

Congratulations on the new changes and we look forward in hearing from you!

Jose Mejia | Broker Partner
727.271.6900 | jose.mejia@newhomeprograms.com
Mary Grimme, Agent, Beach, ND
Thu Nov 14, 2013
Wow are you recent graduates from Oshkosh? I graduated from there many years ago. Would love to get together and see how much the campus has changed.

I have been in Tampa for the last 15 years. I have raised two kids here and can let you know which schools I like both private and public. There are many great areas in Tampa for raising kids. Much of what you decide will be determined by proximity to work and life style choices. There are some great communities that have been mentioned with properties in your price point with great recreational areas. There are also sweet little towns around the perimeter of Tampa that offer a small home town feel and easy access to the metro area.

Get in touch.
Mary Grimme
Kokopelli realty LLC
813 340 9522
megrimme@gmail.com
Franches Sch…, Agent, Tampa, FL
Thu Nov 14, 2013
There are great schools, communities,and amenities in the Westchase area. You can find a nice property within your price range and do most of your family recreational activities in the community. There is an amazing golf club, multiple parks, playgrounds, nature trails, a soccer field, swimming pools and tennis courts. There are two toddler pools for when your baby grows up; and to add more value the schools are great! I live and do most of my work in and around this great community and I can help you guide you through the purchase process making it an educated and easy transaction to you. That way you can concentrate in the coming baby and the enjoy all what the Tampa Bay area has to offer.
But there are more great communities around the Tampa Bay area, I recommend you to stay close to work for an easy commute. If you have anymore questions please feel free to contact me anytime. One last advice, please get a mortgage pre-approval so at the time to make an offer you have the upper hand, we have many multiple offers situations and I want you to be ready when you find the home that like. There are a couple of good lenders that I can recommend you if you need to narrow your options. Good luck and hopefully you consider moving to the Great Tampa Bay Area :)
Franches Schnell REALTOR SFR
813 784-2663
Realtor.Franches@live.com
http://www.NiceHome4Sale.com
Tom Scaglione…, , Tampa, FL
Wed Nov 13, 2013
Exciting times... the first thing you need to do is get qualified for a mortgage, I have a great lender, next you need to know where your fiancé is going to work so we can look at a home that is convenient tor her place of employment, next we need to see if you are going to want to live in that spot until your new unborn child becomes school age or wait till you decide if you are going to sell and move to a bigger home. Lots to think about but the real need to find out if you can in fact get a mortgage is the most important.

Tom Scaglione, ePRO, SFR, REALTOR
Future Home Realty, Inc.
Tom@RealEstateTom.com
813-310-8200
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Wed Nov 13, 2013
From Oshkosh WI to Tampa FL....you will think you died and gone to the good place!
You'll gonna love it here!
-
Both Westchase and FIshhawk are exeptional places to live. However, you may want to give thought to living closer to what makes Florida special.
NO- not Disney, I'm talking about BEACHES!
Watching the sun set every evening into the Gulf of Mexico.
Getting your toes into the sand....in FEBRUARY!
Play golf. tossing Frisbee..running 10 miles, fish,
Hike miles and miles of beach,
Dunedin has 19 city parks
Bike trails over 40 miles long
or just catch a sumbeam...ANYTIME your choose.
-
With a little one on board, such easily accessible choices will make you smile.
IN Florida, the weather does not dictate what you can do.
-
You may want to consider locations like Palm Harbor and Dunedin on the Gulf of Mexico. Take a look at my Trulia blog http://(www.Trulia.com/blog/AnnetteLawrece) to get a sneak preview of some of the beach accessible communities.
-
And you are only one bridge away from TAMPA
AND...I have to say this....90 minutes from Disney! ::)

Best of Success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
Move to the Front of the Line
(http:FirstLookHomes.us)

Now, you should be thinking about NOT moving all the sub-artic clothing and boots to Florida.
Scott Gray, Agent, Tampa, FL
Wed Nov 13, 2013
Wow! Exciting stuff! This is a great time in your lives.

There are many areas of Tampa to consider. The best way to approach your search is to understand where your fiance will be working and see how much of a commute he would consider. That will help narrow down your search. I have been in the Real Estate market here in Tampa for almost 30 years. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this search. I work for Coldwell Banker, the number 1 brokerage company in Tampa, and most other places around the world. You can reach me at 813-205-5002 or at scott.gray@floridamoves.com.

I look forward to the opportunity.

Scott Gray
Cody Powell, Agent, Brandon, FL
Wed Nov 13, 2013

Depending upon where your job(s) are located I would highly recommend the Fish Hawk Ranch area and the Brandon area. Fish Hawk Ranch is a great master planned community and they have the best schools in which all are A rated schools. Also in the last few years the elementary school was the #1 rated elementary school in State of Florida. The Fish Hawk community is a certified Green community, has several miles of walking trails, over 1,200 homes built, sports complexs, several swimming pools, and they are starting to build the 2nd phase. Here is a link to the community http://www.fishhawkranch.com so that you can see additional information.

If Fish Hawk will not work for you then the Brandon area is a great alternative very well established community. One of the great things about Brandon is that if you are working in or around the downtown Tampa area you can be downtown via the Expressway in about 10-15 minutes. Brandon also has really great schools and are highly rated.

Other great areas are the Westchase area and New Tampa/Tampa Palm area. Both areas are well established and have excellent schools however your budget of 250k will not go as area as the price points are higher.

If you have additional questions I would love to answer them and help you find the perfect area and community. Feel free to call me at any!

Cody Powell, Realtor
CDPE, CIAS, LCAM
J. Powell Enterprises, LLC
O. 813.843.8311
C. 904.710.8056
Kay Brooks, Agent, Tampa, FL
Wed Nov 13, 2013
CONGRATULATIONS on your marriage, new baby and the new job! That is a lot of exciting things in a short period of time! As a native of Tampa Bay, there are so many wonderful places to live that provide everything from waterfront to country hills! Additionally, may places are very convenient for commuting. I would LOVE to assist in your home search, and the ideal way to start is to plan a day to do nothing but tour our beautiful area. I work for a leader in the Real Estate industry, Keller Williams Tampa Properties. Please allow me the opportunity to assist you. Call or email me at (7247) 647-1867, brooksdk@hotmail.com - I will go the extra mile to ensure you receive a best in class experience! GOOD LUCK!

Kay Brooks
Hector Contr…, Agent, Tampa, FL
Wed Nov 13, 2013
Hi Ms. Lyon!

Great question! Our team focuses on the Westchase and surrounding areas. Westchase is a very well maintained area with excellent school zones. There are a number of community activities as well as shops, pools, and more. You can search the area on our website at http://www.seachwestchase.com.

Please let me know how we can help!

Hector Contreras
hcctampabay@gmail.com
813-426-2669
Congratulations on the marriage and baby! These are exciting times for you both. I would love to speak with you about Tampa. The Tampa Bay area is HUGE so there are lots of great areas to choose from!!! I've had the priviledge of living in several areas so I have knowledge of most of the Tampa Bay area. Please contact me via email at: ReneaCoker@Remax.net or call me at 813-486-4851. I'd love to assist you in this huge decision. Best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Renea (pronounced like Renee) Coker
Flag Wed Nov 13, 2013

Renea (pronounced like Renee) Coker
Flag Wed Nov 13, 2013