Condo buying in West Town Chicago -- Haddon and Campbell

Asked by Matt Marcus, 60622 Sat May 12, 2012

We're looking at buying a new construction condo at Haddon and Campbell, but have concerns about the neighborhood. We're coming from Ukranian Village. Any advice/thoughts?

Answers

11
Ivan Sagel’s answer
Ivan Sagel, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue May 15, 2012
Hi Matt,

Visit the area and walk around the block at different times of day. If you can picture yourself living there, then it might be the right place.

I would be happy to help you find a home. My services are free to you as a buyer.

Best of luck,

Ivan Sagel
312-515-7823
IvanSagel@DwellOneRealty.com
Ryan Hanley, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Jul 12, 2013
Hi Matt -

I'm not sure if you are still in the market, as this post was done about a year ago. However, I will still shed some light on this question, since I am an expert in this area.

I live in Wicker Park, near Leavitt and Schiller and my best friend lives at Artesian and Hirsch, which is about 3 blocks from your prospective location. The area, in general, is safe. A lot of people have concerns about moving West of Western, but that area has been gentrifying rather quickly. The closer you get to Humboldt Park, the less safe it gets, in my opinion. I would be lying if I told you that my friend and his wife haven't heard their share of fireworks or gunshots at night, but it is the city, and these things are not that uncommon.

If it was up to me, I would search for a home in Wicker Park or Bucktown, but obviously the price point will begin to go up.

I hope this helps.

Ryan Hanley
708-712-4446
http://www.ryanhanleyproperties.com
Jeffrey Olic…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Jul 2, 2013
What are your concerns about the neighborhood? Why do you have those concerns?
Andy Ogorzaly, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun May 26, 2013
Go at different times of the day on weekdays and weekends. Check out what type of activity is going on and see if you feel comfortable in the area. Remember that no one knows what the future holds for a neighborhood; Only time will tell. Move to an area for what it is NOW. You will also want to decide immediately if location or size & amenities are more important.

Also, West Town is the overarching area, but the neighborhood you are talking about is Humboldt Park. I personally like the area for its character, but there isn't as much happening on the thoroughfares of North Ave. and Division Ave. yet like there is to the east.
Seth Captain, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon May 14, 2012
That area has been, and always will be Humboldt Park. And that's not a negative. But neighborhood names serve a purpose for communities, and dismissing the areas a block or two west of western as West Bucktown or West Town or West Whatever is a slap to the people who have lived there before their "eastern" neighbors were trendy.
Barbara Bied…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun May 13, 2012
Feel free to call me at 773-914-5309. I, myself , don't live far from there & would be happy to tour the neighborhood with you. Barbara Biederman, bbiederman@citypointrealty.com
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun May 13, 2012
If your concerned, you should check out the area yourself. We cant comment on things of this nature. Go at all different times of the day and night. Go during the time you commute. Check it out on weekends. Then make the decision. Only you can know whats right for you and your family.
Diana Willia…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat May 12, 2012
The best thing to do is to drive around and see how you like the neighborhood . Please contact me if you need assistance with your search . My phone number is 708 925 4076 or by email at diana@findingourbalance.com
Philip Sencer, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat May 12, 2012
I hope you got a good deal as that area has been hard hit the past 5 yrs with short sales/foreclosures. Agents cannot/should not talk about such things, so we often say...... check with the police for crime stats. You are close enough to that area already to have some ideas about it. Good luck!
Sari Levy, Agent, Addison, IL
Sat May 12, 2012
Realtors aren't going to touch this question. Too risky because of the government. Check crime stats online and go to the neighborhood in the evening and in the middle of the day during the week and see if anything looks amiss.
Web Reference:  http://LucidRealty.com
Joe Schiller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat May 12, 2012
i highly suggest you walk around the neighborhood at 3 Pm. 7 pm and on both sat and sunday for 2 weeks before you invest >$100,000 in something