Cheapest, convienient travel daily to NY, quite, scenic,trees,parks good for children, shops, nice freindly safe neighbourhood

Asked by Louisehuayi, 07030 Sat Jan 8, 2011

Answers

10
Joseph Runfo…, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Sat Jan 8, 2011
Staten Island is overall the most suburban of the five boroughs of New York City. Staten Island is Composed of hundreds of acres of federal, state and local park land including the "greenbelt" and "blue belt" park systems and the Gateway National Recreation Area. Artists and musicians have been moving to Staten Island's North Shore so they can be in close proximity to Manhattan but also have enough affordable space to live and work in. The Staten Island Ferry is a 5 mile, 25 minute ride that provides views of New York Harbor, for free!
Web Reference:  http://www.clovelake.com
Murray Plish…, , Parsippany, NJ
Tue Jan 18, 2011
Hi Louisehuayi,
Tough question.
So many possibilities! My office is in Parsippany which is large and diverse.
All prices of housing. Good schools. Lots of NYC commuters etc. etc.
I'd be happy to sit down with you and go over the town and available choices for living here. Give me a call at 201-618-0309
Best of luck
Murph Plishtin
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed Jan 12, 2011
Troy Village is a good suggestion - I helped a buyer there recently - she was not commuting to the city but it would be an easy task from there. You have easy access as well to one our finest and most desirable urban/suburban communities - Summit - and with it it's train access, shopping, dining. And you have great access to highways. So whether you travel by rail or roadway, this is a great area to explore. There are certainly areas west of Summit/Springfield that are beautiful and will have new(er) offerings than Troy Village and be more suburban. Much will depend on your budget and tolerance for increasing your commuting time. Happy to help you explore options furhter...

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Sat Jan 8, 2011
Some parts of the shore will suit your needs, but the commute will be an hour via train. Check out Bradley Beach, Wanamassa, Interlaken, Pt. Pleasant
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com
Carol Eisens…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sat Jan 8, 2011
How about Troy Village in Springfield, NJ. Low maintenance includes heat, hot water, garbage, snow removal, pool storage and parking. Located in a park like cul de sac which borders Summit. Close to Summit train and downtown. You can walk to bus (last stop before going into the City). Approx $180,000+ for a 1 bedroom and $200,00+ for a 2 bedroom.

Let me know if I can help you.

Carol Eisenstein
carol.eisenstein@prudentialnewjersey.com
Joseph Runfo…, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Sat Jan 8, 2011
Staten Island, a free relaxing Ferry ride away from Manhattan, abundant parks, etc. its worth a look.
Karina Abad, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Sat Jan 8, 2011
Hi Louisehuayi,
Your list describes your ideal place to start a family. Along the Hudson Waterfront, the best value will probably be Union City, West New York and North Bergen. They offer transportation options to NYC by bus and can have you in the Port Authority anywhere between 15min to 30min depending on how far north you live. They offer lots of parks and great shopping and dining options for a fraction of the cost of Hoboken and downtown Jersey City.

I grew up in those towns and currently reside in Hoboken. Feel free to reach me if you'd like some further help. If not, I suggest you take some time to learn more about those areas.
All the best!
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Sat Jan 8, 2011
Hi Louise,

The Cheapest part of the post.. That is tough. But that still needs to be defined by you as what you think is cheap! ? There are many towns within 35 miles of NYC that will accommodate what you want, the rest depends on you! As a former Brooklynite, I did my due diligence for my needs and moved to East Brunswick as the commute was pretty great into Manhattan (35 miles) but, there are many surrounding areas that will probably fit your wants and needs. I know all about them, it is my Job to know!

Email or Call! Let’s Talk.

John Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
direct: 732-213-1409

JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
Cissy Isaac, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Sat Jan 8, 2011
Since you mentioned children, I'm assuming you want to only consider 2 plus bedroom units. There are currently 96 active 2 BR listings in Hoboken, downtown Jersey City and Weehawken for under $425K. I'd be happy to send you these listings...
Cissy Isaac
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sat Jan 8, 2011
Remove the word "cheapest" from your post......and you have likely described the more expensive real estate areas in NJ. A scenic, tree-lined area with shops, parks, and convenient travel to NY comes with a price.

How long of a commute is acceptable? What is your real estate budget? With the answers to those two questions, your likelihood of relevant responses will increase.

Cheapest travel could mean Path, Midtown Direct on NJ Transit. You can also take the train from many other points, but you may consider a longer ride inconvenient. Alternatively, one can take ferry service to a number of points. See NY Waterways and Seastreak Ferry service route maps.

Shorter commutes and convenient travel to NY usually will be attached to hire real estate prices. Lower real estate prices are usually found further away from the commuter centers.

If travel options are your priority, look at the transit and ferry maps, and solicit feedback for towns along the routes within the commute distance and cost that is acceptable to you and define your real estate budget. Many people in Monmouth County commute to NYC every day. It's an hour by train and 40 minutes by ferry. For some, the lifestyle (a blend of shore, suburban, and country), along with more bang for your real estate dollar (compared to other parts of NJ) make it a perfect place. Others may prefer to be on the Midtown Direct train route.

Whether you direct your focus to Hudson, Bergen, Union, Middlesex, Essex, Monmouth, or other counties, there is likely to be a neighborhood that meets your expectations. Which areas fit your budget? Which areas are within an acceptable commute?