Can anyone recommend a good structural engineer that is familiar with the ins/outs of San Francisco? I want

Asked by Drewski, San Francisco, CA Tue May 13, 2008

to rehab a large attic space but have been told it may trigger a seismic upgrade. Thanks!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ren205, Home Buyer, Woodside, CA
Tue Jan 12, 2010
Mike Hicks and Alex Rood over at Fulcrum Structural Engineering do a lot of seismic retrofits. Give them a call. (415) 543-0161 x21
Web Reference:
0 votes
Steve Peletz, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jun 20, 2008
Everyone knows Peter Culley & Associates, but there is also a very pragmatic engineer from the Peninsula named Dominic Chu. I used him on two Seismic Upgrades for 2 apartment bldgs that I used to own.
- Steve Peletz, Peletz & Company Real Estate
Web Reference:
0 votes
Kevin, Home Buyer, California
Thu Jun 19, 2008
Mr. Yang did seismic calculations for a company I used to work for. He charges about 1/3 the price as the market, and the quality of his work is 100 times better. He's also willing to answer questions. This is his email:
Web Reference:
0 votes
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Tue May 13, 2008
I've worked with Peter also, but I thought he only did inspections now.
Having been in the construction business I will caution you to shop around and talk to a few before hiring any. Recently we were working on a building that had a liqifaction zone in one spot of the foundation, an old lake or pond was mapped there in the past. Anyway the engineer hired was a belt and suspenders guy. He called for piers that would have had to be drilled inside the existing basement. The most expensive option. Consulted with another and he came up with a grade beam that would suppoert the load and cost far less.
Any recommendation you get call them and interview them. If you find it difficult to communicate or understand the options presented move on. You will find someone that will be right for you and your situation.
Don't skip asking at the building department for information on what will trigger additional work and also ask for names of engineers that the plan checker might recommend. Most of the plan checkers are structural engineers also and I know a few that moonlight.
If you run into difficulty call Steven Chan. He is good and knows building codes in and out. Mobile number 415.606.7848 and mention my name.
0 votes
Hi, Steven Chan was recommended to me in 2008 for bolting the foundation on our 1924 3-story "pair of "classic" Richmond district flats (garage/storage on 1st floor). His prices were very reasonable, he was very pleasant to work with and responded quickly. It's been a few years, so his rates may have risen and his business may have grown, but I' have just phoned him about replacing the posts down the center of our garage, which are slipping (nothing to do with his work.) . I'm assuming what he did will be helpful if there's a major quake!
Flag Fri May 9, 2014
Sally Rosenm…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Tue May 13, 2008
Dear Andrew,

Go to my webpage and click on the Resource List. You will find seismic engineers like Peter Culley, Santos & Urutia and others. I have worked with Peter Culley and my clients have liked him. Santos & Urutia also has a good reputation. The others on my list are good too!

Good luck,
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more