Can I report a rude unethical agent and to what agency?

Asked by God's Girl, Fountain Valley, CA Thu Nov 4, 2010

Answers

13
John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu Nov 4, 2010
Being rude and being unethical are two entirely different things. Acting in a rude manner is not dishonest or unethical…it is simply rude. There is no excuse for being rude but rude activity will not be punished by any real estate board or state real estate governing body. The broker who manages the agent is the appropriate one with whom to discuss your displeasure with the activity of your agent. The managing broker will not want the rude activity of an agent reflecting poorly on the brokerage.
Members of the National Association of Realtors subscribe to the Realtor Code of Ethics. Violations of this code are taken seriously and should be brought to the attention of the local Realtor Association. Call the local Association for additional information. Remember that rudeness and certain other anti-social activities are not unethical.
Illegal activity is another story although you did not allege any illegal activity on the part of your agent. There are licensing laws that must be obeyed. These laws vary from state to state but are generally similar. Check for more information at the website of the California Department of Real Estate.
Thom Colby, Agent, Irvine, CA
Sat Nov 6, 2010
I agree with the approach to contact the Broker first and provide an opportunity for him / her to address it. If you don't get satisfaction there - you will need to ask the Broker which Association they are a member of. There are more than 20 Realtor Associations here in Southern CA and you will find yourself calling all over the place before finding the appropriate Association of Realtors to take your complaint.

I have faith the Broker will correct the situation - he has everything to lose and nothing to gain by not addressing all situations.

Best of luck,

Thom Colby
Broker / Owner & Certified HAFA Specialist
Thom Colby Properties
Newport Beach, CA
Moving Lives Forward (TM)
We NEVER DOUBLE-END Transactions in our Brokerage. There is NO benefit to the Seller or Buyer and only benefits the Agent. Also, NEVER use your RE Agent / Broker as your Lender or vice versa. Also, be careful when using Real Estate Broker-owned Escrow and Title Companies - they can be loads of trouble.
888-391-5245 Direct Cell
THOM@THOMCOLBY.COM
DRE# 01398570
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Fri Nov 5, 2010
Absolutely,

Begin by contacting their office real estate broker to lodge your complaint. They should be able to address this and provide you with peace of mind.
Mia Burch, Agent, Wilmington, DE
Thu Nov 4, 2010
Rudeness...not sure what you can do but unethical behavior definitely need to be addressed to their broker like Alan suggested. However, most of the brokers does absolutely little to nothing so document everything and file a complaint to RE board or commission.
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Thu Nov 4, 2010
I'd say your first place to report would be to that agent's managing broker. Bring them your complaint, in plain English, clearly and calmly, and make sure you have any documentation of that rudeness and unethical behaviour. See if you get any results.

If not, you may want to escalate to that agent's board, and if still not (you may want to reconsider... OR) then to their governing body at the state level.

Jeremy Lehman, Agent, Garden Grove, CA
Wed Feb 29, 2012
Great advice here. Start with the real estate agent's broker or manager. If it's an ethics issue, than the board is appropriate as well if the problem cannot be resolved at the broker level.
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Wed Feb 29, 2012
Hello God's Girl,

Before you report the agent to any agency, make sure their actions really are unethical. Contact the California Department of Real Estate they can advise you on what actions are unethical.,If your agent has actually acted in an unethical manner you can report them to their employing broker, local association or department of real estate.

Now to being rude. Some agents are jus matter of fact. They do not sugar coat things and are not warm and fuzzy. This can often be seen as rude. Also if the agent has a sharp accent they way they pronounce words when speaking can be seen as rude when they are not being rude at all. I happen to cater to my clients and I can tell you there have been times where I know I was taken advantage of because I am so attentive.

I am sorry you seem to be unhappy with your agent. Please do not let this experience turn you off from the home buying process. I am sure you will find an agent you are equally yoked with.
Kawain Payne, Realtor
Prudential California Realty
714-293-1151
, ,
Fri Nov 11, 2011
You need to define rude and or unethical. Unfortunatly there is no law against being rude. But the Board of Realtors may listen to your complaint.

I have seen cases where people had unrealistic expectations of what information or serviced realtors need to provide, free of charge. When the agents excercised the right to decline, I have seen members of the public get upset and start looking for someone to complain to. Did you expect a service from a realtor? If so how much did you offer to pay?

Unethical, on the other hand is against the law. The CA Dept. of RE will give the agent a very bad day, to say the least, if that is the case.
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Mon Dec 20, 2010
If you have concrete evidence of unethical behaviour, first contact the Realtors broker and then the Realtor Board.

If you merely "suspect" unethical activity, be careful so you're not held liable for slander or libel.
Willy Olsen, , Claremont, CA
Tue Nov 30, 2010
Talk to the agents broker. It will be resolved one way or another. We are all human and we have all had bad days. Maybe this was one of those bad days for the agent. Communication is key and many times there can be misunderstandings between people. Don't dwell on it, life is too short. If this agent is truly a bad apple, then they won't be n the business for very long.
Nick White, Agent, Fountain Valley, CA
Thu Nov 4, 2010
Here is the # to the local real estate board (714) 375-9313 if you need anything else let me know.
Nick White, Agent, Fountain Valley, CA
Thu Nov 4, 2010
Start with the agents broker. If you don't get the response call the local real estate board and report the unethical behavior.
Ethics are very important and should be reported if you are represented unethically.
Nick
Gene Hacker, , Lake Isabella, CA
Thu Nov 4, 2010
I agree with Alan. Talk to the agents broker. If you are not satisfied with the outcome you should file a complaint with the governing body.

What specifically did they do?