General Area in Clifton>Question Details

Betty, Home Buyer in Hudson County, NJ

Can I afford a house in Clifton?

Asked by Betty, Hudson County, NJ Thu Feb 4, 2010

I am a single mother, looking to buy a home in the next year. Can anyone tell me if Clifton would be a good town to raise children? I'm looking for homes in the $230K range. Is that a feasible figure for this town?

Answers

7
Dan Chase’s answer
Maybe you just need to wait awhile longer. Below is a house price predictor.
http://www.housingpredictor.com/newjersey.html
New Jersey overall is going down in price per the prediction.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 4, 2010
Hi Betty,

$230,000 is not sufficient for a decent detached home in Clifton. At that price level, you are going to be looking at disappointing handyman specials and foreclosures. Around $250,000 to $275,000 you might see a few houses that would be marginally suitable, but most of them will need work or be located in busy areas. I would say $325,000 is the starting point for some really nice little homes that are in move-in condition and in quiet neighborhoods in Clifton. A good way to find out if you can live in an area based on your budget is to go on realtor.com and see what's available in your price range. The check the aerial photos with Google maps to see what's around the area. Good luck!

-Marc

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Web: http://www.marcpaolella.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 4, 2010
Hi Betty,

There are approximately 73 listings currently available in Clifton at or below your price point. Of the 73 approximately 20 are already in Attorney Review. The market is moving quickly. I am experienced in Short Sales and properties requiring renovation. New listings come on the market daily and I am confident that I would be able to help you find something that would be within your budget and meet your requirements. I would be happy to help you, give me a call.

Michael Ipekdjian
Weichert Realtors
908-285-3226
Hi Betty, I am a realtor that works for Realty Executives in Clifton, and lives in Clifton. Are you still considering buying in Clifton? Now is a great time to be home shopping. Prices are great and mortgage rates are even lower than in Feb. Let me know if I can help.
Hi Betty and all,

I tried to keep an open mind and re-ran everything under $250,000 in a single family detached home search. They were all one or more of the following:

1) Poor condition
2) Short sales being sold "as-is" aka needing lots of work
3) Foreclosures in poor condition
4) Busy roads/commercial uses

I can only re-conclude that $230,000 is not enough money for this market, and it's not close. Just being honest.

-Marc
I live and work in Clifton. There are some homes on the market in your price range some of them are not shor sales. I've worked this town for 10 years and prices have come down substancially over the past 2 years. If you would like, I can e-mail you the homes currently on the market under $250,000 and you will have a better idea of what's out there. I'm suprised at the number of homes in desirable areas currently on the market in this range.
Hello Betty, My office is located in downtown Clifton. Answering your question, Clifton is good town and yes you can find homes around that price. Of course, this depends on the location. Homes in the border of Paterson/Clifton or Passaic/Clifton are more affordable. We are selling two houses around 180K on Short Sale. I do a lot of CMAs for banks so I can show you the avg price in different location of Clifton.