Best family oriented neighborhoods in the Raleigh area.

Asked by Nilton_santos, Mon Mar 4, 2013

I, my wife and daughter are planning a visit to the Raleigh area. The reason we are visiting is because we are considering a move to the Raleigh area since it seems to be a great place to raise a family. We are coming from NYC and are planning to visit Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.

Since we are going to stay for just 4 days we would greatly appreciate suggestions of neighborhoods to visit that match the following criteria:

-Young families neighborhood;
-Clean, safe and green (lots of trees) neighborhood;
-Great catholic private school for our daughter;
-Commute to work under 45 minutes in rush hour (office location would be in Cary);
-Ideally within walking distance to shopping and local amenities or town center (or else not more than 5/10 min driving).

Further information:
-House budget: 400K (Single family home, Bright, 3 BR, 2 Bath, 2500 sqr ft, move in ready, garage, back yard, ideally pool)

Thank you so much for your help.

Answers

9
cameronchapman’s answer
cameronchapm…, , Raleigh, NC
Mon Mar 4, 2013
Downtown Oakwood or Mordecai Neighborhoods are great and easily to Cary in 20-30 mins. Otherwise the suburbs..Cary - Preston or McGreggor Downs - Check out Apex and Amberly and other areas off Hwy 55
Cameron,
Many thanks for your quick and useful reply.
We will definitely visit the neighborhoods that you've mentioned.
Do you know whether they have private catholic schools for our 3 yo daugther?
If so, which ones are the best?
Many thanks,
Nilton.
Flag Mon Mar 4, 2013
Margaret Moo…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Mon Mar 4, 2013
We moved to the Triangle because of the same reasons you're mentioning -it's a great place to call home. With the four days you have scheduled you'll be able to get a feel for the area and as well as neighborhoods. I suggest gathering as much information as you can beforehand so you can make the most of your trip. You can call the schools now to see what the process/likelihood is for enrollment. My sons went to parochial (as well as public school) and know there can be waiting lists depending on the grade your child will be entering.
Cary is one of the fastest growing communities in the area, with tree lined streets and well groomed subdivisions.
I have a number of neighborhood tours on my website that will give you a quick overview.
Margaret Moore
Triangle & Coast Realty
Hi Margaret,
Do you know whether the private catholic schools in Cary have pre-school programs? (our daughter is 3 years old). If so, can you please name the best?
In addition to Cary, are there any other neighborhoods you would recommend?
Many thanks,
Nilton.
Flag Mon Mar 4, 2013
Whitneymaybe…, Home Buyer, Raleigh, NC
Sat Mar 25, 2017
you can find amazing communities in Raleigh. i found one i love http://www.drhorton.com/North-Carolina/Greensboro-Winston-Sa… and there are lots of others in younger communities. it is worth checking out. best of luck
Herbertberbe…, Home Buyer, Charlotte, NC
Sat Oct 8, 2016
I live in Cary and we love it here. we got a place from DR Horton http://www.drhorton.com/North-Carolina/Raleigh-Durham/Cary/E… and honestly we planned on staying here 5-7 years but I wouldn't be surprised if we stayed forever, its that great here. There is a real sense of community here.
We are repatriating from the UK. We moved to the UK from NYC and I grew up in FL, however, we are interested in NC and particularly Cary. We live in a lovely village within Manchester where everything is accessible by walking and the community is centered around the amazing schools. This is what I'm going to miss the most so I'm happy to hear the place we are considering is community oriented. Is there anything in particular that makes this community stand out? Thank you in advance.
Flag Thu Feb 2, 2017
Roumayah, Home Buyer, Charlotte, NC
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Apex, Cary, or Raleigh (27607) Catholic school less than 5 mins away.
Tracy Levitt…, Agent, Morrisville, NC
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Hi Nilton -

The North Raleigh area has a number of great communities that fit your criteria. I would recommend that you check out Bedford at Falls River (I-540 to Falls of Neuse exit - about 20 miles or 1/2 drive time to Cary in traffic).

Bedford is a large, planned subdivision modeled after a turn-of-the-20th century neighborhood. Miles of sidewalks lined with trees, playgrounds throughout the neighborhood, a large clubhouse with a competition swimming pool and large children's pool with slide, tennis courts and a retail area with several small restaurants and other businesses. Bedford is also now connected to the Raleigh Greenway, a biking/walking paved trail which winds for miles along the Neuse River. Your required price range is in line with some very nice homes in Bedford. There are quite a few private schools in the North Raleigh area.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like more help with finding a home in the area. Thanks!
S. Charles G…, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Tue Mar 19, 2013
I'm way late on this. I moved here from NYC 5 years ago. Loved living in Raleigh, but now in Wake Forest, and it's great. Bedford reminded me of Long Island. But Heritag(wake forest), Amberly (Cary) are great options. If you want to build a new house there, there are some great builders who are doing great jobs. Your price range would be great for many neighborhoods like these.

It may take you a little time to settle, but once you get used to the space, you will like it... congrats. .
Kecia Bland, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Mon Mar 18, 2013
What a great question! I've lived in the Triangle Area for 20 years now and it's a great place to raise a family, for work, recreation, schools, medical, etc. Based on your criteria, I would strongly suggest for you to consider Wake Forest, NC, particularly the Heritage Wake Forest area. My office is in this area, the schools are wonderful, easy access to everywhere and quick to Raleigh and RTP. It's an award-winning planned community with a golf course and other great amenities in your price point. I would love to give you more information about it. Best wishes to you an your family!

Please feel free to contact me at Kecia.Bland@allentate.com. Visit my website at http://www.allentate.com/KeciaBland
Irina Bennett, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Mon Mar 4, 2013
Nilton!
First of all, congratulations on moving to our area! I moved here 20+ years ago and very happy I did! The best way to narrow down the specific neighborhoods and homes is to select a buyer's agent who can do all the "leg" work for you! In our are it will not costs you anything, as most sellers pay your buyer's agent fees. Plus, this agent will dedicate the time for you and will make your travel/search very easy!
We have many neighborhoods that your family would like, the best way to search is to identify those that have pool/club house, etc, recreation that your family will enjoy. Also, look for locations of the Catholic schools in the area and this will give you another list of neighborhoods that you may want to look at.
PS: I live next to one of these schools, off Leesville Rd in NW Raleigh and there are several communities that you can visit here...
I would love to connect to you and find out more hoe I can help, feel free to e-mail me or call me.
(919) 868-1040 or info@trianglehomeowner.com
Hi Irina,
Many thanks for your quick response. At this stage it is still too early to work to with a buyer's agent.
At this point, we're mainly interested in getting a 'feel' for the area by driving/dining/walking in the nicest family oriented neighborhoods that match our criteria.
Nilton.
Flag Mon Mar 4, 2013