Besides the MLS, open houses, flyers on the front lawn, and posts on Trulia, Redfin, or Zillow, what should an agent do to market my house properly?

Asked by FloridaBound, Orlando, FL Mon Mar 19, 2012

The house presents well, has great curb appeal and is in a good area.

Answers

26
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Tue Mar 20, 2012
They must be leveraging the internet to the fullest extent to get your home sold. That goes way beyond a "post" on Trulia, Redfin or Zillow to single property websites with the address as the domain name, high rankings in google, blogging, paid advertising spots on the top 3 public sites; Trulia, Zillow and REALTOR.com. Take a moment and google both your agent and your address...the results will be very telling as to whether or not your agent has fully maximized the internet's tremendous power to get your home sold.
Bob Foust, Agent, Fullerton, CA
Tue Mar 20, 2012
Short answer: Have a specific plan for marketing the house AND tracking the results AND a scheduled price decrease if the traffic is there but there are still no takers.

Long answer: They should be able to show some usage stats for their past advertising. (ie # of views they usually get on xyz sites, what type of membership status they have, the # of showings they get,, # of phone calls fielded, # of email inquiries received, # of showings, market trends, new listings, comparable homes soon to close, and agent/buyer feedback). If there are no stats for showing the success (MLS entry is my one exlusion) then its not worth doing in my opinion. The stats are usually very telling as to where the problem is (exposure, access, condition, or pricing) and what needs to be corrected to sell.

There's an infinite amount of combinations as to where the house should or could be marketed, most sources having very little credible evidence of success/failure. Trust me, there's a lot more sizzle out there than actual steak. Lots of talk about "coverage" and "exposure" and "circulation" with really sketchy evidence for results. We know, we use, have used, or looked at almost all of them. Even those we've proven to work, like certain listing portals, have some tweaks and turns that must be made to really make them highly effective.

Its a very technical discussion for me to get into EXACTLY what works for marketing and how it has to be setup to work best. Just make sure that whoever you list with will provide some meaningful stats to follow. Then watch the numbers and take appropriate measure when something is out of whack (like reducing the price when you have tons of showings, great feedback, thousands of page views, but no offers).

Either way its a great question, one that I wish more sellers would ask.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Tue Mar 20, 2012
Doing these things and doing them well can make all the difference. Pictures need to tell a story and cause someone to want to know more. Descriptions need to recite more than facts, but tap into emotions that a buyer can connect with.
Your local MLS will be 90%, the other sites all help and shouldn't be overlooked but the material should compel the buyer to inquire further. Once they see it online the goal is to get them to want to see it in person. Once they see it in person it needs to exceed the expectations created online or in the flyers. One of the biggest mistakes agents make is to oversell the property in their MLS and other feeds. When the real thing disappoints the only result is a long marketing time and dropping the price.
Be the best marketed, best staged, most accessible home in your price range and a buyer will appear.
Terry Bell, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Mon Mar 19, 2012
Answer their cell phone! Sometimes I can't believe how long it takes for some agents to return calls about their listings! I try to answer my cell phone 9 to 9, especially for new numbers so I don't miss any new buyers or their agents! Houses don't sell themselves, just like new cars don't move off the lot without a person there to personally explain why that car is the perfect fit for you! Unless it's a rock bottom foreclosure that can sell itself, you need a agent who works well with people! This is a people business as well as a house business! Best, Terry
Lara Gabriele, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Mar 19, 2012
Those are all the basic tools used. It comes down to how creative your realtor is. Personally I use magazines that reach people in other areas such as Home and Land. These magazines reach buyers as far as the east coast and sometimes Canada. Touting your listing to a brokers open that is held weekly for agents and brokers , this lets other agents know your home is there and allowes them to come through without a client so that they can take an unbiased looked at your home and try to match it with potential clients they might have. Open houses are great on the weekends but right now open houses during the week are great! There are many people who are driving around trying to avoid the weekend traffic.

Lara
Fran and Mark…, Agent, Yardley, PA
Mon Mar 19, 2012
In our area Brokers Opens are often key. Local agents often think they know what a particular development offers however if your house has updates and upgrades not common then it is a must that the local agents be invited in to see them.
Thank you.
Flag Mon Mar 19, 2012
Jeanette Nel…, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Sat Mar 1, 2014
As your agent, it is our job to know how to create the longest line at your door so that you will receive multiple offers allowing you to pick the best buyers for your home AND creating a lot of interest at one time so that you will earn top dollar for your home. As a listing specialist, we should have a lot of internet Klout and knowledge since that is where most buyers start their search. As well, we should really be a marketing company on your behalf, along with professional pictures, virtual tours, videos, etc. In addition to getting your home multiple offers, it is crucial that we have skill in negotiating, and managing multiple offers to your benefit. Of course, being fair to all parties involved. I would love to share further with you our marketing strategies for you to choose from. I can share with you how they will go to work for you or work against you. Feel free to call me at 714.366.8575 or email me at Jeanette@NelsonGroupRE.com.
Kat Tyree, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Tue Aug 27, 2013
Each property is unique, and in addition to a heavy internet presence, there may be community specific things that make your home attractive to a particular buyer pool. Thinking outside of the box is critical when a home isn't selling in projected time frames for an area. Listing pictures that portray it in an attractive light are crucial. The most important of all is correct pricing. If your home is not listed in the right price point, it will take a very long time to sell, regardless of all the good things your agent does or doesn't do.
John Lydic, , Cleveland, OH
Tue Aug 27, 2013
What are the rent rates like for the area compared to price? If it can be considered an income producer, call it "Turnkey" and place it on REI Free Classifieds. I say this because properties must have equity, income or rehab value to be listed on REI.
Marques Wood, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Roseville, CA
Wed Aug 21, 2013
I have the most awesome marketing platform any agent can use.
Its called isNowlisted.com and only available through me.
714-316-3262
mwood@aclend.com

It does it all in two clicks!

Website. Analytics, flyers, SEO, Craigslist, virtual tours, you name it
Fred Herman, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Fri Aug 16, 2013
pay attention to the market.

no showings - listing price is much to high.

showings an no or low offers - listing price is above the market

good luck
Fri Aug 16, 2013
My agents run on this this platform called http://www.isnowlisted.com
Its a must!

Basically its a two click 3rd party posting and marketing platform that launches that property on about 1500 different websites and creates a ton or buzz around that home. MLS these days just ist enough BANG!

The realtor pays just $10/mo to use it

888-838-9898
Bill Smith, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Mon Jun 11, 2012
The agent should have a base of buyers/investors to present your home to also. Additionally, a mailer in your neighborhood is always smart. Neighbors may want to own a rental they can keep an eye on, or have friends and relatives that want to live in the same area.
Bill Smith
Huntington Beach Realty
Valerie O'Br…, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Tue Mar 20, 2012
Well hopefully your property is not on the market yet...your question makes me wonder if it has been for sale and nothing is happening?
The internet brings in about 90% of the market these days... so a great agent makes sure that their listings are on as many sites as possible.
DO a search for your property address and see how many places it shows up.
I always invite the neighbors to a private open house...most neighbors have friends who want to move into the neighborhood and are excellent sources of information. A brokers preview should be in the mix.
The listing should come out on a Friday for all the weekend shoppers.
It is critical that the property is easily shown...not restricted by available hours to be seen.
A proper commission brings in more buyers...if the commission split is low agents have a tendency to show those which bring the highest commission.
Pictures, pictures, pictures put your listing higher on the internet search...those are just a few of the things you need to know so when you interview and agent they do the right job for you....
Valerie O'Brien
Keller Williams Newport Estates
949-478-2892
Any more questions feel free to call!
Not on the market yet.
Flag Tue Mar 20, 2012
Mike Sullivan, Agent, Gainesville, FL
Tue Mar 20, 2012
Sounds like the realtor is off to a great start....the key, in my opinion, is open and honest communication......and you have to trust the realtor.....the results will soon show in their performance. Proper pricing of the property is a key....one which oftentimes we are not in agreement on with the seller....be sure comps substantiate the price, or the reductions required.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Tue Mar 20, 2012
It sounds as if thier doing a great job, bettert than most and their doing everything a seller should expect.

There is no 'silver bullet" to getting an offer, if their doing all of the above and after 30 days you haven't received an offer, then the reason is simply you are not priced correctly.
KIM Benda, Agent, Glen Carbon, IL
Tue Mar 20, 2012
They say 97% of buyers are beginning searches on line. So they need to market your home to hundreds on places online. As for as the flyer boxes most on the agents I come across dont know how to use them to the agent and sellers advantage. Agents also need to net work more online.
What are the hundreds of places online?
Flag Tue Mar 20, 2012
Brenda Feria, Agent, Richmond, VA
Tue Mar 20, 2012
In this changing market, a comparative market analysis (CMA) on a regular basis is most important. Wth so many short sales, foreclosures and REOs, values can change drastically if there are no non-distressed sales in the neighborhood. In real estate it is said that a house doesn't sell for one of the following reasons: Location, Condition, Price. If you have your property sufficiently exposed to the public and are getting no offers, it usually comes down to one of those reasons stated. A house will sell. The price for the location and condition has to make sense to the buyer. Good luck!
Home is not on the market yet. We've had 2 offers when we were not ready to sell. We are now ready and understand that pricing is key. As mentioned great location, many upgrades but would like to reach out of state buyers. Thank you for your comment Ms. Feria.
Flag Tue Mar 20, 2012
Oggi Kashi, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Mar 19, 2012
It sounds to me like you don't have an agent and are selling by owner. Is that true?
OK - He/she needs to have the listing as a "Featured Listing" on Trulia, Zillow and Realor.com (if not already). It costs more but that way it usually shows up on the first page of the search results. Were the photos taken by a professional photographer? Do you have a sufficient number of photos online? Is the home staged? If you live there, did you at least consult a stager for some editing? Do you have a property website with a virtual tour? Do you have a post on YouTube showing the virtual tour? Does your agent email and/or mail flyers to the agent community to refresh the listing in their minds? Have they walked the neighborhood to meet the neighbors and personally hand out property statements? Many time the ultimate buyer is introduced by a neighbor. Have they held hosted broker's tours and offered catered open houses or evening tours? As you can see, the list goes on. I wish you the best. - Oggi
Flag Tue Mar 20, 2012
Not a FSBO
Flag Tue Mar 20, 2012
Virginia Cla…, Agent, Yorba Linda, CA
Mon Mar 19, 2012
You have the basics down, but there is so much more! When meeting with you to discuss the listing and marketing process, hopefully your agent will explain the importance of proper pricing and how the peak interest in your property is when it first is listed. Buyers do their research, and if your property is overpriced, it will not get a favorable reaction. A property that is priced correctly will get a much more favorable response from buyers and agents. And hopefully you are willing to make your home available for showings with a lockbox. As much as realtors try to schedule their time and give sellers lots of advance notice, often our buyer cllients call and have to switch days and times. Or we may already be planning to show property near your home when it hits the market and would like to be able to include it. Agents should be willing to place your home on "broker preview", which is a day each week when new listings in the city are available to be seen by a group of realtors and brokers from any office. Your agent should also mention your property during their weekly office meeting so that other agents are aware it is available and have it on their weekly office caravan of new listings within the office. I also prepare and walk "coming soon" "open house" and "just listed" postcards or flyers through the neighborhood to generate interest in the home. Often neighbors have family and friends who would like to move into the area. That's a start - you'd be surprised how hard we work to market and make sure your home sells at a great price, good terms, and as quickly as possible. Good luck!
Debbie Clant…, Agent, Midlothian, TX
Mon Mar 19, 2012
Advertising ideas can be large or small, but most good agents put their funds where it proves to be fruitful. While the internet can reach a wider audience, let's not forget about the local advertising like the newspaper, sending out "Just Listed" cards for the neighborhood, and sending electronic eflyers to other brokers. It sounds like your agent is operating like many agents do. You should talk to your agent. Perhaps you'll find that he/she is already using some marketing tools that you are unaware of or maybe he/she will consider adding some new ideas that the two of you can come up with.
Gina King, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Mon Mar 19, 2012
Oh Goody! Online Speed Dating ... I love this stuff! Ok, here goes

1) List in MLS - Good! If you think that Trulia, Zillow, and Realtor.com are MLS ... not so good! Mostly they just screw things up! (Ooops, are we on Trulia right now?)
2) Flyers - Necessary Evil
3) Open Houses - Kinda Fun and We do get some good Buyers of other properties from them, but you must understand, MOST Sellers judge Realtors(c) by Open Houses, therefore MOST Realtors(c) perform them.
4) The Internet is a complicated place, that most Agents are sorely under educated in (Product of their Brokers mostly.) Individual Listing Sites, Facebook Advanced Targeted Marketing, and Pay Per click Search Engine Marketing combined with a strong Site are typically a great combination! YouTube is an under utilized Pool as well!

5) and MOST Importantly... Price it right! OMG, such a crazy notion!??? Maybe, just maybe price it slightly under the comps and drive a ton of eyes to it early in the process, when the real Buyer numbers are there! (Remember, you can price it where you want, but you don''t have to except sub standard offers!) It's amazing what can happen when you create excitement for a home, ever buy on EBay? I rest my case =)

It's been fun, got to go!

Hope you sell soon, so you can move to one of life's most amazing locations! (So Jealous!)

and remember ... http://KeepingItRE.com and http://HomeOwnershipUniversity.com ... Where Consumers go to be educated and empowered!
Web Reference:  http://KeepingItRE.com
Gary Geer, Agent, Antioch, IL
Mon Mar 19, 2012
The best thing your agent can do is help you price your home to sell. No matter how your home is presented or advertised it may not sell if it's not priced right for your market. Most of the time when homes do not get showings and do not get offers it's because they are overpriced for their market. Ask you agent for some recent SOLD comparables to help determine if your home is priced to sell. Don't pay attention to listed prices this is what a seller hopes to sell for. Sold prices represent what a buyer is willing to pay. You need to lead the pack not follow and you will be successful. I wish you all the best.

Gary Geer
http://www.ggeer.illinoisproperty.com
Ingrid Ski R…, Agent, Mission Viejo, CA
Mon Mar 19, 2012
Every agent does something different or unique for the owner. Each agent independently runs their business differently and if this is a concern of yours then when interviewing the Realtor for selling your home you would have covered this with them and have been satisfied... The bottom line is that your home sells and it is priced right with the market... Going with a bigger brokerage would have more marketing ability than a smaller one, I am sure you already know that,,,
Good luck...

Ingrid Ski Realtor
949-874-0432
OCAreaHomes@gmail.com
FloridaBound, Home Buyer, Orlando, FL
Mon Mar 19, 2012
The house is NOT for sale yet.

Honestly, I don't think any of the things I listed above is " doing a lot already and marketing the property to every possible buyer under the sun." I think it is what agents generally do. Or am I missing something?

For example: putting it in on the MLS (agents need to do anyway), making flyers (everyone makes flyers), doing open houses (benefits the agent because agent meets leads or buyers that may not be interested in your property but in another property). Posting on Trulia, Zillow, and Redfin--don't these compamies automatically add the listing once it is entered into the MLS?
Emily Knell, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Mon Mar 19, 2012
It sounds like your agent is doing a lot already & marketing your property to every possible buyer under the sun that is in your price range.

If you're not getting any offers, the problem is not your agent. You need to listed to your Realtor & ask them to present you with updated Comparative Market Analysis frequently, weekly if necessary, you need to listen & analyze WHY buyers are passing over your home to offer on others. You're probably overpriced.

If you would like an unbiased opinion as to whether you are overpriced or whether or not I think your price is fine the way it is & I'm baffled as to why it's not selling at your current price then shoot me an email if you want to talk about this some more. I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
The house is NOT on the market yet.
Flag Mon Mar 19, 2012