Bala Cynwyd vs. Manayunk?

Asked by Dr. Stephen Hunt, 94107 Mon Mar 31, 2008

What're the big differences?

Answers

2
Hayden Lawson’s answer
Hayden Lawson, , Philadelphia, PA
Mon Mar 31, 2008
One thing to keep in mind is that Manayunk is still in Philadelphia and Bala Cynwyd is outside of Philadelphia in Montgomery County. Therefore, if you work inside of Philadelphia, you will pay a higher tax rate in Manayunk and a lower tax rate in Bala Cynwyd, essentially giving yourself a slight raise by living outside of the city.

"September 2007
New tax rate: As of January 2008 the Philadelphia resident rate will be 4.219% and the non-resident rate will be 3.7242%." - see web reference

Manayunk appears to be the more "hip" area to live, with many young professionals just out of college - as a recent college graduate, almost everyone I know who moved to Philly took residence in Manayunk.

Bala Cynwyd, although close to St. Joe's, is a more family oriented area. You're at the edge of the main line, and as you travel down Rt 30 into Montgomery County, you venture more into suburbia. Depending upon the part of Bala Cynwyd, you're bordering what is typically viewed as a less safe part of Philadelphia, with City Line Ave separating Bala Cynwyd from Philly. However, a few miles west and you're in the heart of the main line - Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Wayne, etc.
Christopher…, Agent, Spring City, PA
Mon Mar 31, 2008
The biggest difference of them all is how it will hit your pocket book...simply buying across the river will give you a smaller tax bill on your paycheck, and you will be in a better school district!
Both of these communities have a lot to offer. Manayunk is in Philadelphia which makes the income tax you pay higher. They both offer great shopping, parks, restaurants, and everything that you could want from a community. They do each have their own unique feel. I would recommend taking a look at a couple properties in both areas and see what fits your needs.
Please let me know if I can help you in your home search or if you have any other questions.
Best of luck to you,
Matt Donnelly
Direct Line:610-994-1087
donnellygroup@cbpref.com
The Donnelly Group
Coldwell Banker Preferred
Flag Wed Oct 16, 2013