Are there micro-climates in Scottsdale or is it just hot everywhere?

Asked by Trulia Scottsdale, Scottsdale, AZ Thu Apr 18, 2013

Answers

12
BParker, CPA*, , Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Hello Trulia (I always find it funny that agents try to get Trulia to call them for their services--see below):

Great answer, Jeff.

I thought the question was kind of slanted, also. I got goose bumps this morning when I left my house. I got a sun burn over the weekend hiking in the beautiful McDowell Sonoran Preserve. I had to pull a blanket on last night when I left my window open to get the breeze.

"Or is it just hot everywhere?"--Yes, it is. You probably better stay in New York or Chicago, where is it so nice and cool...

Got to go turn up the thermostat. Have a great evening... :)
Teresa R. Fa…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Yes, indeed. I previously used to live in Scottsdale Ranch, before moving to North Scottsdale in the Troon North area. Amazing what a little elevation can do in 15 miles. It is typically about 10 degrees cooler at the current elevation of 2600-2700. However, another contributing factor is that areas of North Scottsdale have larger home lots (less rooftops and structures to absorb heat) and with the open area there is more of a breeze, so it is cooler and less expense for cooling. Areas that are higher density means more streets, structures and automobile congestion...all contributors to holding the heat. If you would like a cooler climate in Scottsdale, I am your guide.

Teresa R. Fahl, Realtor ~ Fine Homes Specialist
Prudential Arizona Properties ~ Troon North
28190 N. Alma School Road, Suite #111 | Scottsdale, AZ 85262
Email: tfahl@cox.net | Cell: 480.620.5738 | http://www.TNTFineProperties.com
True. And I've noticed it's more complicated than elevation- Cave Creek is even higher, but more rocky and arid, so it's typically 5 degrees hotter in summer than North Scottsdale, 5 miles to the south. Fountain Hilld is similar to Cave Creek- very arid and doesn't get much wind flow because of the McDowell Mountains, so usually much hotter than other parts of the valley. The central parts of Scottsdale anc Phoenix are amongst the hottest- too much concrete.
Flag Fri Jul 21, 2017
Gloria Moore, Both Buyer And Seller, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Sep 28, 2015
We live at 141st Street and Bajada Drive (south off of Dynamite) and it is always 10 to 15 degrees cooler than Phoenix temperature. The views of the McDowells, 4 peaks and all the hiking and riding trails are wonderful. The price on homes here is considerable less than elsewhere in Scottsdale. And the lots are usually 1 !/4 acre and up. There is room for your horses and quads This area is a hidden gem in Scottsdale.
Morgan Hodges, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Jun 9, 2014
Different areas will have absolutely varying temperatures. Your best bet is to check the elevation of the area you're looking in - a good rule of thumb is the higher the elevation, the cooler the temperatures. This is especially evidenced in a lot of areas in North Scottsdale. I've also found that neighborhoods in higher elevations will also catch a better breeze, thus making the area feel a bit cooler. It's also important to note that Scottsdale is only "hot" for a few months out of the year. The rest of the time you'll find the weather is pretty spectacular!
Jeff Fisher, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun Apr 21, 2013
I have no idea so I searched the web. Here's what I found. A microclimate is a local atmospheric zone where the climate differs from the surrounding area. The term may refer to areas as small as a few square feet (for example a garden bed) or as large as many square miles (for example a valley). Microclimates exist, for example, near bodies of water which may cool the local atmosphere, or in heavily urban areas where brick, concrete, and asphalt absorb the sun's energy, heat up, and re-radiate that heat to the ambient air: the resulting urban heat island is a kind of microclimate.
So, yep we have all kinds of them in the desert! Unfortunately, Phoenix and the surrounding area did not make Wikipedia list for popular cities with micro climates, so to answer your question, its just hot everywhere. :)
Richard Arno…, Agent, Tempe, AZ
Fri Apr 19, 2013
There are 20 types of hot here in Scottsdale.
- It's cooler and breezier in the north, the high desert
- It's a bit cooler in the green belt through the middle of town with the grass and moisture. You can feel the difference if you drive on a road which crosses the greenbelt and dips down for a hundred feet - it's almost like opening a refridgerator door.
- It's hotter walking on a wide major street with block walls on both sides of the street. This is like a frying pan in mid-summer.
- It's more humid during monsoon season - generally mid-July onward. When it rains, the rain is warm.
- When a haboob dust storm blows through town it's dry and windy with so much dust you can't see a block down the road and leaves cars painted in dust.
- A/C is a almost a necessity. Rolling down your window in the summer is an invite to get a blast of jet-hot air in your face.
Jennie Miller…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
This is the desert. No joke, it is HOT here!
Howard Rudin, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
I agree with all of the comments about far North Scottsdale being cooler due to altitude. There is also a Micro Climate in Arcadia which is in both Scottsdale and Phoenix. The Arcadia area was built in the midddle of Citrus Groves some 50 years ago. The lots are larger and the trees and grass make the area cooler than surrounding Paradise Valley and neighboring areas as well. But the truth is tbat it is still hot in the Summer.
Jeffrey Masi…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Scottsdale Micro-Climates?

From my experience, there are:

1. Wet spots on the golf courses in the Summer when it is cooler at night during walks
2. Micro Brewries
3. Shade under mesquite trees
4. Beach community at the Wave Pool at Kierlands
5. On the runway tarmac at Scottsdale Airport

Jeffrey Masich, Realtor, GRI, MBA
HomeSmart
Arizona homes and land for purchase or sale
http://ArizonaHomesLand.com
JeffMasich@ArizonaHomesLand.com
480-556-0940
Wade Kawaha…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
If you live in North Scottsdale, or better yet Carefree, Cave Creek or Desert Hills it is between 5-10 degrees cooler. Especially after sunset. There is less concrete and asphalt to retain the sun's heat.
Shahla Mentha, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
It's only hot from June through Sept 100-115 (it's dry heat), and cold for about 2 weeks around Christmas time, but the rest of the year is beautiful.
You're welcome to visit and to find out for yourself.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Shahla Mentha, ABR, e-Pro, REALTOR®
Executive Real Estate Consultant
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Fax: 480-483-4917
Email: mentha.shahla@gmail.com
Website: http://www.azmove1.com
Darryl Schoe…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Ha! Great question. It is pretty universally hot from around June through Sept/Oct. The rest of the year is generally quite pleasant. As I'm writing this (4-18-13) we're experiencing the mid-70s and mostly sunny. It's been glorious. Millions of folks have visited our areas during the winter months. Many of those end of moving here permanently. Come on out, the weather's fine!