Are there any restrictions in Gwinnett County as to renting my finished basement to one individual?

Asked by Joe Reinert, Lilburn, GA Mon May 12, 2008

I live in a small subdivision; no homeonwers assoicaton. I have a 600 sq ft basement with bedroom and bath I would like to rent. It has an external entryway, and there is plenty of room in my driveway to park one or two more vehicles. Is there any reason I cannot do this?

Answers

4
Joshua Jarvis, Agent, Duluth, GA
Thu May 22, 2008
Joe,

The key is the no HOA. If there's no HOA then there is no one to enforce a no-rent rule.

The county has a rule that only allows a certain number of PEOPLE to supposedly be living in the home, but if the people are family members then it is allowed.

The Realtor answer is check with an attorney or county official. If you're asking me though, I say go for it.
Web Reference:  http://www.gahomesdigest.com
not allowed in Gwinnett under any circumstances and saying that there isn't anyone around to enforce it is very unprofessional. Just because you might not get caught doesn't make it legal or right to do. Shame on you.
Flag Sun Oct 25, 2015
Vicki Masell…, Agent, Duluth, GA
Wed May 21, 2008
Check with Gwinnett County, Joe, but I am relatively certain that if you live in a neighborhood of single family homes and are zoned for such, you cannot legitimately rent space to a non-relative or family member. Doing so creates a multi-family dwelling which, in all likelihood, your home is not currently zoned or approved for. There are other rules, features and requirements that a multi-family dwelling would need to meet. Again, check with the County or visit their website to look for more info.
Pauline Moore, , Atlanta, GA
Mon May 12, 2008
Make sure to check also to see if you have to have your home listed as a multiple dwelling, with seperate meters if you want to rent it as a condo or such. Looking into the county laws is a good idea and make sure you protect yourself in a good lease agreement. Like Karsten said , check with local county officials what needs to be done.
Karsten Torch, , Grayson, GA
Mon May 12, 2008
Hi Joe. I have been asked this before, and the answers I get is this:
It depends on how many people you have in your house currently. There is a maximum number of people you can have inhabiting a house per Gwinnett County, but I honestly don't remember what this number is. Take a look at the Gwinnett County website and see if you can find it or call any local Gwinnett County police precinct - they'll know. Other than this, without a homeowner's association, you should be just fine.

If anybody knows any different, feel free to chime in.