Are there any artsy (not stuffy) commuter towns in long island.?

Asked by Mark, Great Neck, NY Thu Aug 27, 2009

Nothing that feels too suburban -- somethingwith a little downtowon, good restaurants and decent schools...and a quick commute. I know i'm asking for the world, but afraid to take the leap out of tribeca. Looking to spend $1.5MM or so...

Answers

3
, ,
Thu Aug 27, 2009
Mark, I know that you can easily find yourself a lovely home on Long Island, and soon grow to love it.
I wouldn't exactly call Babylon a quick commute. However, there are many people who commute to Manhattan who like being on the Port Washington line (the beginning of the line that stops in Great Neck). There are definitely areas of Port that are not that stuffy, and it does have a main street area with loads of restaurants, and the schools are very good. There are also many lovely homes in your price range in Manhasset, which is also a stop on the Port line. Any of the areas on the north shore are what you make of it as far as stuffiness goes. I have lived on the north shore my entire life, and I have always found the people who are not the snooty, stuffy ones that you sometimes hear about. We are not the women who are going to be in The Housewives of the Gold Coast. Sea Cliff is a little more artsy, but definitely not as good a commute, although $1.5 million would buy you one of the nicest houses I would say.
If you would like to be pre-qualified for a mortgage to buy here, and get more of your questions about the area answered, please give me a call.

Robin Silverberg
Senior Loan Officer
516-972-1687
Nunzio Zappo…, Agent, Easthampton, MA
Thu Aug 27, 2009
Hello Mark,
I would like you introduce you to Babylon Village it has all your requested tributes and a direct route on the LIRR from the Babylon station. the town is quaint and has lots of history. The beaches are very close you could find a nice home south of the highway in this price range. I have several to chose from even a nice waterfront condo at 819,000. Dont get me wrong there are a lot of great towns on the Island Sag Harbor is one that comes to mind but long commute. Port Jefferson north shore. I am a south shore person Sayville is a great town. I work from the Babylon office of Prudential so I could show you the attributes of these areas. If you would like to explore more I would love to assist you in your search. I will go through out suffolk as I do for all my clients.
Nunzio Zappola Nunzio.Zappola@Elliman.com (516) 383 -0700
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Aug 27, 2009
If you are not familiar with Long Island it's time to explore; why not visit towns, dine at local eateries, look at shops, transportation and whatever else is of importance to you and take it from there--you'll be glad you did-- after all the decision will be entirely yours.

Anna
917-576-5376
abrocco@laffey.com