General Area in Galesburg>Question Details

Ab, Other/Just Looking in 85373

Are real estate taxes in Galesburg really as inexpensive as it seems? Are there any undesirable areas to stay away from?

Asked by Ab, 85373 Sat Nov 7, 2009

I'm looking to relocate to Illinois from AZ and Galesburg has captured my attention. Several ads have taxes listed that seem really low. I'm looking to purchase a home for cash to live in for the next few years; one that I can fix/update and still be ok on when we want to move on in our "golden years" hopefully when this downturn works it's way out. Being older, without children, being close to schools is not a concern. Not interested in multi-family or condo. Is flooding a problem in Galesburg? What about short term rentals or month-to-month (we have 2 cats) while we look around and wait to close? If anyone can answer any of this without a sales pitch, I'd greatly appreciate the info.

Some of the low taxes are due to owners have 2 to 3 exemptions, I can look up the tax rate for you tomorrow. Our population is somewhat older . There are generally a number of homes that needs some updating/fixing up. What is undesirable to one is not always so to others, we have trains, and businesses, and some industrial Rentals are available but not in an huge supply. Hope that helps
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
I own a house in Galesburg that I bought in 88. I may be looking at selling it for about $60,000. The property taxes are currently $1,400 a month. I have it rented out thru HUD to a classmate of my son's. It is a 3 bedroom, but one of the rooms could definitely be classed as an office. It has a fireplace and jallese windows in the family room. It is a big L shape design from the family room to the front room. I put in a light berber mixture in those two rooms, new lineoleum in the kitchen. Has a w/d in it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
In reading your entry, I'm not sure what your question is. Are you wanting to find out what the market value of your house is? I can provide that for you so you will have an idea of whether or not it will likely sell for the $60,000 yoor mentioned. Email me at
Flag Sun Nov 4, 2012
Taxes are based on purchase price of a home, Galesburg tax rate for this year is 8.9132 and Knoxville's rate is 8.2532 Take the sale price divide by 3 and if you have a homestead exemption subtract $6,000 the multiply by the rate A homestead exemption means you will use the home as your primary residence
hope that helps
Just Looking:
The answer to your question depends on two things: 1) the price you pay for the house and 2) how many exemptions you qualify for. The best way to know what the taxes would be on a particular property is to let me know what house you have an interest in, and then I could give you a good idea of what the taxes would be. About your second concern, I know of a few people who will rent on short term. This is not an entirely uncommon situation, so we have had to find short term rentals for others who are waiting to close before they can move in. Hope this helps you out a bit.
Hi, saw your question on Trulia today while I was updating my listings, did you get your question answered?