Anatolia and Kavala Ranch in Rancho Cordova.

Asked by Dave, Folsom, CA Fri Dec 14, 2007

Does anyone have any insight(pluses and minuses) into the Anatolia and Kavala Ranch sub-divisions in Rancho Cordova?? My budget is ~350k and that is the only place I could find to buy a newer home with low Mello Roos and HOA.

Answers

12
Dave, , Folsom, CA
Fri Dec 14, 2007
Carie,
I believe I could get ~2500 sq. ft. in Rancho as compared to ~1400 sq. ft. in Folsom. for ~350k. We don't have any kids and would probably upgrade to another house after 5 yrs. Considering this scenario, would you still recommend Folsom over Rancho?
John, , Rancho Cordova, CA
Wed May 14, 2008
Anatolia is cheap because the there is some nasty stuff in there ground here. They built this pumping operation behind my house and I went back there to check it out and they are pumping "klaraid" into the ground. Which when I looked it up online, it is a flocculation agent used for toxins. Hmmmm
Kristi, Home Buyer, Kavala Ranch
Sat Feb 16, 2008
I live in Kavala Ranch. We just bought a 2700 sq ft home from Lennar for 350k. The school system is Elk Grove Unified School District which is leeps and bounds above Rancho. The house is wonderful and solidly built. The Solar pannels make the SMUD bill pretty nice as well. We take our kids and dog for walks along the parkway and enjoy naming the cows as we go. I would like more of an infrastructure though. The only shopping is Costco, and it's pretty difficult to find a reasonable daycare. They promise more to come. When? Who really knows? Oh, and we have to go to the post office on Olsen for the time being to pick up our mail. Not too fond of that minor detail.
Carie Averill, Agent, Lees Summit, MO
Fri Dec 14, 2007
Hi Dave,

I'm a Realtor in Folsom and believe that the newer subdivisions in Rancho Cordova provide a lot more for your money, but I always tell my clients to think about future resale. The Rancho Cordova community hasn't been as strong as Folsom in real estate and many people from those newer neighborhoods are trying to move into Folsom. I had one client that came from the Bay Area and purchased a new home off of Zinfandel a few years ago, only to find out that the middle school and high school weren't up to their standards for their children.

There are a number of homes in the Empire Ranch area that are selling in the mid 300s, that were built in the last couple of years. Have you checked into any of those yet?

Happy House Hunting!
Carie
dbrh_lloyd, Home Buyer, Folsom, CA
Tue Apr 2, 2013
I have lived in Kavala Ranch for 5 yrs and I love it. It is growing with the new housing going up, but it is a very nice community. They are building a park area with tables, bbq's and walking trails. The only thing that I wish they would do is build a little shopping area so that we wouldn't have to go so far, but we have been told that the more people that move in the area the sooner they will develop a shopping area, (grocery store, etc). I am not sure but we only pay Mello Roos in our area and no HOA in Kavala Ranch. Hope you consider Kavala Ranch the houses are going up fast and they are all sold. New models are coming in.....happy hunting....
runjumpsplash, Home Owner, Rancho Cordova, CA
Fri Nov 16, 2012
Check out the Kavala Ranch facebook community at http://www.facebook.com/kavalaranchpark. Our park will be complete this December 2012! Lennar continues to sell solar homes there super fast! (no, I dont work for them) But I live near the sales office and I'm shocked at how busy it is and how steadily they are buidling homes.
Megan, Home Buyer, Elk Grove, CA
Mon Mar 3, 2008
We're moving into the Lennar (Cazadero) section of Kavala Ranch in June, and have found, so far, that the price of the house completely offsets the lack of services and the living-in-a-construction-zone feel. Don't let the "Ranch Cordova" tag scare you-- the area will have a fine resale value once the market picks up. What we love is we're close enough to Folsom to go shopping, to the movies, etc, but we don't have to pay Folsom prices. We're also close enough to be in the EGUSD, which has a great reputation. Where else can you get a house that is practically in the country, over 2500 square feet, and for around $350K?
Are you on our facebook page? http://www.facebook.com/kavalaranchpark Join the community!
Flag Fri Nov 16, 2012
Lisa, Home Buyer, Sacramento, CA
Thu Feb 28, 2008
Hi Julie,

We are also buying with Centex in Kavala Ranch, however, yesterday we learned that they are abandoning the project and will not be building any more houses for the time being.

Lennar will continue to build in Kavala Ranch and have already lowered their prices quite a bit. They may come down even further now that Centex is abadoning their small corner of Kavala Ranch. We, like you, had a smaller budget and felt that the Centex design and quality was the best we could find for the price in the Sacramento area.

The idea of buying this house was that we would live in it at least 10 years and wanted it to be large enough for a growing family through the housing downturn. Hopefully, that will still be the case and as soon as housing picks up again (although how long that will take, who knows) Centex will come back or sell the land to another developer who will fill in the neighborhood.

Good luck, it seems to be a bit of a jungle out there.
Flag Fri Nov 16, 2012
Mark Daya, Agent, Rancho Cordova, CA
Wed Feb 20, 2008
These are all great responses below. I'm a Realtor and I live in Anatolia. The mello-roos is high but the low price more than offsets it. I'm looking 2 years in the future when the Raley's shopping center will be built. The area will be much more convenient (and therefore desireable). There are also talks of a private college by Grant Line and Sunrise... once we get past the housing slump, future development is heading in our direction.
Ken, Home Buyer, Sacramento, CA
Wed Feb 20, 2008
We are in the processing of purchasing the 2264 sq ft Centex at considerably less that 300K with some options. Now seems to be a good time to buy. The home is solidly put together and so far the folks at Centex are great to deal with. With the solar as standard that is a big plus on the SMUD bill as well. I think the Mello Roos is a bit pricey but the home value will offset that I think. I like the idea of the Elk Grove school district as well. Good luck in your venture. In my opinion, you are heading the right way.
Warren, Home Buyer, Rancho Cordova, CA
Wed Feb 20, 2008
We are in the process of buying at Verano @ Kavala Ranch. I'm not sure what you might consider a low Mello Roos would be but at Verona its 194/ mo. We looked all over and unless you want to live all the way out in Roseville, Rocklin or Lincoln you can't beat the prices. Our biggest concern is what Aerojet has done to the water table in the area. Maps I've found on the internet are vague as to how large the contamination plume from solvents and rocket fuel is and how far it stretches into Anatolia toward Kavala. Granite countertops won't offset a higher rate of thyroid cancer -Something to think about. Google it, you'll see what I mean. See associated web link too-

Warren
Flag Fri Nov 16, 2012
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Fri Dec 14, 2007
Dave's research is right on. I ran narrow searches on Folsom 95630, and Rancho Cordova 95670 and 96742 for homes that are 10 years old or less.

There was a 1997 home in Folsom priced at $340,000 at 1310 sq feet.
There was a 2008 home at $349,900 with HOA dues of $170 - at 1675 square feet.
All other Folsom was either older or smaller.

There were 2 listings in Rancho Cordova that were 2500 sf +/- that were priced under $350,000.

All else that was under $350,000 was either older or smaller.