Advice please: 600 block N.16th

Asked by Susan Epstein, Yonkers, NY Tue Jun 24, 2008

I am moving from NYC to Philly and looked at a place on N.16th between Wallace & North Streets. Some surrounding blocks looked fairly down-and-out but there seems to be a lot of building/rehabbing activity going on. I am a city dweller and familiar with urban life, but would like opinions on where that block & surrounding area stand now and where they seem to be going. Please note: I do already have a realtor I am working with--I'm looking for people's opinions who know the area.

Answers

5
., Both Buyer And Seller, Philadelphia, PA
Sat Jul 5, 2008
I totally agree with the last poster. By geographic rights this is considered "Art Museum", but it is not by anyone's imagine actually there. There is a LOT of rehab in all directions from this pocket (even to the NORTH!) but this exact block, I would avoid. Sorry.
Phillygoat, Both Buyer And Seller, Wash West
Fri Jun 27, 2008
I find that area to still be a dead zone. While it is true that Philadelphia Magazine's top new restaurant from 2007 is on the 600 block of Broad street, there isn't a lot of eyes-on-the-street dynamic life in the block you've mentioned. Also, while it's great that Reading Terminal is essentially the closest grocery store, it's not particularly close, thus giving up much of the walkable advantages of city living. It's kind of hard to guess when that particular pocket will turn around, but my totally unscientific gut feeling is that 15th and 16th between Spring Garden and Girard currently stands with "lower prospects than the edges of Northern Liberties in 2001", so there you have it. I think the block surrounding the playground and the community garden two blocks to the west as the start of the Fairmount/Art museum neighborhood.
John, Home Buyer, Philadelphia, PA
Tue Mar 31, 2009
This area is not going to give you a good neighborhood vibe...and most of the rehab that is going on is all low-income housing. Go over to the west closer to Fairmount Ave around 21st street.
Susan Epstein, Home Buyer, Yonkers, NY
Tue Jul 8, 2008
Thanks for all of your responses. As it turned out, someone else made an offer on the house, so I was
spared the decision!
Jasmine, , Philadelphia Suburbs
Tue Jul 8, 2008
Well, when I saw the address my reaction was "Ouch". A few blocks west and/or south and I wouldn't have had that reaction. There are parts of the surrounding area that will do much better for you, but don't think where this one is should be a first, second, or third choice if it doesn't have to be.

Good luck with your search.