Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Fort Myers : Real Estate Advice

  • All1K
  • Local Info92
  • Home Buying455
  • Home Selling26
  • Market Conditions49

Activity 1,339
Wed Jul 12, 2017
Alan May answered:
No... the listing agent does not have any reasonable expectation that he is representing you as your agent. In fact, just the opposite... he is contractually obligated to represent the best interests of the seller.

You have the right to get your own agent, although it might complicate things a touch. Let your new buyer's agent know all the circumstances, and they will make sure that things work correctly. (they might decide to pay a portion of their commission to the listing agent as a referral fee, or showing fee)... but you shouldn't have to worry about things like that. Let the agents worry about that aspect.

Bringing your own agent should not damage your chances of getting the house. Go get your own agent, and sin no more.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 11, 2017
Tjshops asked:
We put an offer on a home that is in short sale (2 banks involved) and it was 6 months before both banks accepted our offer. We had an inspection done and found some major issues - septic…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 11, 2017
Hello Lei,

Borrowers are encouraged to shop around for the best rates and terms possible to ensure they are leaving themselves in the best possible financial situation. Thankfully, when looking for the best lending partners possible, there is a "de-duplication" window. Basically meaning you can have multiple mortgage inquiries on your report within a 30-45 window without affecting your score more than once.

I see you are currently in Ashland, OH. My company, Nations Lending, is based out of Columbus, OH. I would be more than happy to speak with you about your specific mortgage needs. Please let me know if you are still interested.

Warm Regards,
Derek Kalish
Senior Loan Officer, Nations Lending
614-493-2162 | Direct
855-951-7793 | Toll Free ext. 2005
16145737247 | Fax
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Jul 8, 2017
UpNest Top Realtors answered:
Hello, The only way to get your FSBO home listed on Trulia is to have it listed on the MLS. Only agents have access, but you could also pay for what's called a flat fee listing service if you want to sell by owner (generally not a good idea). We created UpNest ( to help home sellers get the best value possible. All you have to do is submit a few details about your home, and we'll invite several top local agents to submit proposals to you. Since agents are competing to earn your listing, they bring out their best commission rates and value added services, saving you a lot of money. There's no risk to try us at all, and it's completely free for you. Good luck! ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sat Jul 8, 2017
Betsy Hendry answered:
No Maple Ave is not. And I';m sure every crime statistic website would back that up. However, 33901 is incredibly desirable and has the best schools if you can get in them with the weird school choice lottery system we have here. Check off McGregor Blvd. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Jul 8, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
These don't look like American cities. Trulia is for residential listings in the U.S. only. If you are investing in the U.S., please indicate what state you are looking in.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Jul 7, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Ever hear of a pre-nup? Best advice - contact a lawyer specializing in matrimonial law and ask about a pre nuptial agreement. This is one of those situations where you will need to ask your future wife to sign a pre nup before the wedding so that no matter what happens after the wedding, you will be protected.

Remember, it's one thing when both partners don't own anything or come into the marriage with nothing (incl. no money) but it's an entirely different situation when one partner earns 3x what the other partner earns and has $200K for a down payment on a home. Time to call the attorney.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jul 5, 2017
Scott Johnson asked:
I am looking for someone in the Chesapeake VA area to purchase a house and give me a lease option on it. I am so close to being able to purchase a home (about 6 months to a year) but need…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 5, 2017
Augustina Holtz answered:
If you are looking to relocate, I can help! My name is Augustina Holtz and I am a Reator with John R. Wood in the Fort Myers area. You can reach me on my cell: 914.648.8888. I will be delighted to help you with your search. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Jun 26, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
Fire the agent! Before doing that, the HUGE question is did you sign a Broker Agreement or did you sign anything? If you did NOT sign anything, then you are free to find a different realtor and interview them carefully.

If you DID sign an Agreement, then you need to speak with the Broker in Charge or Office Manager and ask them to release you. They make the determination - not your agent. It also depends on how far along you are in the process. Example: if all your agent did was just show you a few homes, the Office Manager will release you easily. However, if you submitted an offer on a home and ready or in contract, then the Office Manager can assign a different agent within their brokerage to close the deal.

Bottom line - you can always work with a different agent within the same brokerage.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Jun 25, 2017
Pat Tadlock answered:
Fri Jun 23, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
This is a U.S. website. Nobody here can help you with mortgage loan advice in Canada.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jun 21, 2017
Qzeng0920 asked:
Tue Jun 20, 2017
Aaronaknin asked:
Sun Jun 18, 2017
Weinfeldmd73 asked:
Friend Selling home in NY state. Had small amount of water damage from leaking appliance, repaired appliance and replaced and refinished floor. Do I need to disclose if is fact that it's…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 17, 2017
Shay Skilling asked:
A lender quoted me PRIME 0.50% rate for a HELOC. My primary home is worth $250,000, and I owe $170,000. (I have retirement assets and additional equity in a rental home). This line of…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 14, 2017
Poppylocks19 asked:
I have been approved for a new mortgage and found a new house. I am set to close within 30 days. What happens if I walk away as far as ulitities, insurance etc?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 8, 2017
Nikole Santiago asked:
We have missed rent but our landlord is on good terms with us and we set up a payment plan. Trying to have a fresh start and possibly start a family.
1 vote 0 Answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 4, 2017
Erik Larum answered:
Long answer: California Civil Code section 1092 allows a seller to transfer title to real estate using a grant deed. Unlike the express promises in a warranty deed, a grant deed implies only two promises -- that the seller did not transfer title to the property to someone else, and that the property is free of liens and encumbrances, except as expressly stated in the deed. A grant deed does not contain any express warranties regarding title to the property. To protect against a title defect, California real estate buyers rely on title insurance. In fact, it is customary in some parts of the state for a title company to handle the closing of a real estate sale.
In a few limited situations, you might want to use a special warranty deed in a California real estate sale. For example, a complex commercial real estate transaction between a sophisticated buyer and seller may necessitate the use of a special warranty deed, particularly if a title company will not insure some potential title problems. A sale of vacant land that doesn't involve a lender or title company may also be suitable for a special warranty deed. However, if you buy or sell real estate in California, expect to use a grant deed and obtain a title insurance policy to complete the transaction.
Short answer: a warranty deed is unnecessary in CA because of our title insurance laws.
Feel free to reach out to me directly at

Sincerely, Erik
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...
Search Advice