whats the deal with RealtyTrac?

Asked by Rb, South Bay, CA Wed Mar 26, 2008

i dont know a whole lot about foreclosures, and dont want to throw away the $50 to $100. any advice?

Answers

8
Hannah, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Apr 8, 2008
I find RealtyTrac to be useful for tracking Notice of Defaults, and using that info to surmise when and if there will be an auction/REO for that property of interest. If you are looking for auction info, it's a total crapshoot. Most of the time, you'll see auction info pop up after the auction has taken place. And for REOs, sometimes RealtyTrac gets the info after the REO has sold (assuming the property is priced well enough).

If you plan on doing enough investing, it may be worth it for the NODs, then send those to a realtor to check up on (assuming they don't mind doing all that extra work for you).
realtytrac is a scam!
Flag Mon Apr 15, 2013
Annie Nguyen, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Mar 28, 2008
I'v e never found Realty Trac is a good source at all. Their information is very old not updated. I tried it before and it was a waste of money. If you want to buy a foreclosure you are better work with a Realtor since the foreclosure transaction is much more complicated than a regular purchase. A good Realtor can help you to do the research and do your homework before proceed to a close. Good luck.
L.A. Real Es…, , Los Angeles, CA
Wed Mar 26, 2008
Hi Rb,
I'm skeptical about those types of services. The information I have seen them share is often not updated or inaccurate. For example, we just bought a property in foreclosure for 750K and its listed on their list for 1.2 million.
You can view properties on Realty Trac for free without getting the entire address (same with other foreclosure sites) If you send LA Real Estate Group an email (info@myLARealEstateGroup) with the property you are interested in (street, sq ft, and bed/bath) and your information, we would be more than happy to get the address for you and look into its availability...for free! We subrscribe as an office to several foreclosure listings and happily share that information with our clients at no charge.
We could also set up appointments to view the properties together. The short sale and foreclosure closing process is a lot more difficult and lengthy process. We have a great deal of experience working with such properties and banks, and can help you navigate a successful purchase.
You can also search out website http://(www.myLARealEstateGroup.com) for a free weekly update on new foreclosures sorted out by zip code.
Good Luck to you,
Lou & Alex
LA Real Estate Group
http://www.myLARealEstateGroup.com
info@myLARealEstateGroup.com
jeffere6y, Home Buyer, Redondo Beach, CA
Mon Apr 15, 2013
On April 1, 2013, you billed my visa card for $49, then started sending me emails about forclosure. When I go to the site and pick one of the properties listed, I am taken to a window with no picture and a notice that says "Property Photo Free With Trial". and no photo. Then as I was updating my search, I got hit with "upgrade your account" window. I am confused, what was the $49 for if not access to your listings????
LJP6407, Home Buyer, Redondo Beach, CA
Mon Apr 15, 2013
Realtytrac.com SUCKS! ITS A SCAM!

Not only does RealtyTrac take your money they also could run up your cell phone bill. After I canceled Reatlytrac I started receiving phone calls on my cell phone from 949-502-7787 or (949)502-7787 on a daily basis. The phone would ring and the caller hangs up as soon as you talk. I am not sure their purpose of this but this adds to the list of poor business practices that Realtytrac engages in and their lack of responsibility. I can't believe that this has been going on for months with out any one stopping this "prank calling" by a company.
LJP6407, Home Buyer, Redondo Beach, CA
Mon Apr 15, 2013
I FOUND YOU CHARGED ME $49.95 @ 17TH LAST MONTH. I DIDN'T ORDER ANY SERVICE FROM YOUR COMPANY AND ALSO CALLED TO 800-550-4802. THE GENTLEMAN SAID YOU DIDN'T CHARGE ME ANYTHING. I AM CONFUSED,
Mikem, , 01803
Sun Apr 6, 2008
In my experience they have very old and rarely updated information (for my area at least) so not really worth it. Might be different in your area.
Christopher…, Agent, Spring City, PA
Wed Mar 26, 2008
I have heard from several people that RealtyTrac is a good source of information. Of course, it is not the only source, and it will not have ALL the answers you may be looking for. Just like any business, you will have to do your homework and research the actual status of the homes.

If you are a serious investor, or buyer, and are willing to roll your sleeves up, then try it out for 30-60 days, and post an opinion of your personal results.
Web Reference:  http://www.askthebigguy.com