what is the requirements to purchase a property in the USA, from london, United Kingdom, as a cash buyer? and how to proceed?

Asked by lizamcgregor, Atlanta, GA Thu May 16, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Fred Herman’s answer
Fred Herman, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Fri May 17, 2013
Proof of funds, preferably from an international bank, i.e. Citibank, HSBC just to name a few,

Luxury homes- 35 minutes from Manhattan, 20 minutes from Newark International airport, 35 minutes from JFK airport:


Fred Herman; CNE, GREEN
Founding Member
International Real Estate Committee
HomeTeam Agency, Inc.
0 votes
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Tue May 21, 2013
Rare, yes. The example I gave: The buyer was not able to come to California until the week of the closing, Long after all contingencies had been removed. It was a high risk strategy, but it paid off for him.
Many tenant occupied listings can only be purchased subject to inspection - The buyer and his professional inspection team get to view the property after the contract to purchase has been executed, then have the choice to proceed or cancel within a short time period after the contract is ratified.
1 vote
Thank you Liza
Flag Sat Jun 1, 2013
Hi Jim, Thank you for your advise.
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi Jim, Thank you for your advise.
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi Jim, Thank you for your advise.
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi Jim, Thank you for your advise.
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi Jim, Thank you for your advise.
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Michelle Wong…, Agent, Elk Grove, CA
Thu May 23, 2013
To purchase a property in CA.
as a foreigner, you need to show :
*proof of funds to purchase
*electronic signature for signing contracts (email )
* for notarial service at closing, just go to US embassy.
It's really easy, we have help many people to purchase in US from Shanghai and Beijing.
Michelle Wong Agent with REmax
0 votes
Sue Archer R…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Mon May 20, 2013
The answers are listed below, but one item that is key is that someone must visit to view the property prior to purchase. Otherwise, it would be suspected that your attempt is just one of the common internet scams running.

It is rare that someone purchases a property without viewing the property and the location.
0 votes
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Fri May 17, 2013
I assisted buyers living in Japan to purchase a property in El Dorado Hills, California in 2011. They will buy a second property here this summer.

You can sign your offer to purchase with an electronic signature on most listings (but not all) If your closing papers require a notarized signature,(sometimes needed, but not always) you can meet a notary at the American Embassy.
0 votes
James Tan, Agent, elk grove, CA
Fri May 17, 2013
Hi Liza
The United States is pretty open for foreign investors. Foreigners are allowed to own land. So you can buy homes, residential/commercial properties, land, condos, etc. here.

In order to buy a property in the USA you will need :
a. earnest money deposit check (drawn in US$, can be a cashiers check from a UK bank)
b. bank account statement (proof of funds for cash purchase)
c. copy of your passport (I believe for UK nationals there is no need for a visa to go to USA).

Check out http://www.BuyHomeinUS.com for more information on investing in US properties for foreign nationals.

Then we have to find the property for you. If you wish to buy in San Francisco/Sacramento areas (one of the hottest market in the United States right now), we can help you. We have helped many foreign clients acquire properties here. You can possibly get a loan too, but I would recommend buying it in cash first then refinance. This is because the market is now extremely competitive, there are too many buyers (quite a few of them cash buyers) and not much inventory.

Hope that helps,

James Tan
Bethany real estate and investments
916 230 5250
0 votes
Matt Bistis, Agent, Sacramento, CA
Thu May 16, 2013
Requirements may vary depending on the state, but in California its pretty simple: identify a property, get an accepted offer, have the property inspected, sign some paperwork, & close the deal. Can explain in more detail with our next contact. I've helped others buy from outside the USA...cash is the easiest.

0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more