what do i do when the owners knew when they rented me this house it was in default 5 months ago?now foreclosed

Asked by Linda, San Bernardino, CA Fri Feb 6, 2009

they knew the house was in default when they rented this house to me,people are coming here with notices to stop foreclosure and leaving cards,what do I do? What the e-mail address to check this property?

Answers

5
Tara Steinke, Agent, San Diego, CA
Fri Feb 6, 2009
Hi Linda,

Unfortunately a lot of renters are finding themselves in this same predicament. You will have to move. Likely, the bank (new owner) will contact you regarding your move-out. You should be able to negotiate a fee to be paid to you for the transfer of the property. In some cases, this can be a sizeable amount of a month's rent or more. If the previous owner held a move-in deposit and retained it, definitely use that to negotiate a higer transfer/move-out fee.

Best of luck!
Tara

Tara Steinke
San Diego Real Estate Specialist
Residential Sales and Appraisal
619-384-6014
mysandiegoagent@gmail.com
Jesse Sierra, Agent, Pomona, CA
Thu Sep 10, 2009
Linda,
That is happening a lot. The unethical home owners in distress are making money off of their renters and by saving the money from the mortgage they are not paying. If you signed a contract, depending how many months you agreed to, you are obligated to continue paying the rent or lease. The distressed home owner can evict you for not paying the rent or lease. I know this sucks, by law your are binded to perform what the contract states (if there is a contract).
You should not be able to get your deposit back if the distressed home owner is this shady.
You can contact a real estate attorney and see what options you have.

Hope this helps and wish you the best of luck,

Jes Sierra, B.Sc.
C21 Beachside, Realtors®
Chino Hills, CA
Meg Yacawych, Agent, Chino Hills, CA
Wed Aug 19, 2009
You can stay in the property at this point. Not pay rent and possibly get relocation money from the bank to leave the house. Wait and see.
Judi Abbott, , Redlands, CA
Sun Jun 21, 2009
Linda, hang in there. I just researched a similar senario for friends of mine. First, don't panic. You didn't mention that you've rec'd an eviction notice. I suggest you go to the HUD.gov website and look up an approved Neighborhood Stabilization agency in your area. They can provide advice or referral to low/no cost legal assistance. In answer to this widespread foreclosure problem the government has set up some guidelines and protections for tenants. Because the property is being foreclosed or going to trustee sale does not automatically mean you are being evicted. After sale the new owners may want to keep tenants in place. And much will depend upon whether you have a lease or are a month-to-month tenant. You may be entitled to stay as long as the term of your lease or longer, OR given 90 days or more to find a suitable replacement if renting month-to-month. In the current economic environment many people have seen their credit scores negatively affected. In light of this, many property owners and managers have become realistic and more lenient about tenants with less than great credit. It must be a scary time for you but there is help out there. God bless and good luck.
Ms. K, Home Buyer, Castro Valley, CA
Fri Feb 6, 2009
Sad, but so typical of landlords. This behaviour is outrageous. I'M TELLING EVERY SINGLE RENTER I KNOW, to INTERVIEW the landlord just like THEY interview the tenant.

Please get the word out. Good luck to you. I'm very sorry to hear of what they did to you.