what can happen with my late property Taxes ?

Asked by Ken Melichar, 68117 Wed Feb 4, 2009

I recently had to file chapter 13 my last years property taxes were included in the decree.My upcoming taxes will be due soon.The last time this happened I was told i needed to come up with Two years total that i was late .That problem occured because the house was paid off in full by me because of illness and i was told my escrow account was insuficient to pay off some of the taxes so i fell behind.I managed to borrow the money to get caught up but here I go again getting behind.What can they due ?What should i do?

Answers

3
Dean Uhing, Agent, Omaha, NE
Wed Feb 4, 2009
Ken,
I checked on the property you are referring to. The notice indicated that the property is "subject to tax liens, bankruptcy, foreclosure and special handling". The notice also said to call 444-7272. I recommend that this be the first course of action. Obtain the necessary information so you know what decision to make.
Visit with you attorney regarding any decision you make so that your legal rights remain protected.
What may happen? The county can sell your tax lien at a public auction. Whoever purchases the tax lien will pay the tax amount. You will have to pay them back at 14% interest ( I think this is the current rate). If you do not pay them back after three years they can foreclose on the property and sue for clear title.
Hope you can find the necessary funds to protect your title, equity and interests.
Dean Uhing
Prudential Ambassador Real Estate
402-709-0727
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Wed Feb 4, 2009
Contact the tax office who can assist you with questions you may have. Allow them provide you options, they truly happy to work with you. OR confer with attorney who handled your paperwork
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Sherry Dixon, , Omaha, NE
Wed Feb 4, 2009
Ken, You should first ask your bankruptcy attorney for advice. You may also want to call the Douglas County Treasurer's office to see what amount you would need to pay and also ask them about a homestead exemption. There are circumstances for people who own their own homes where taxes are not due.
Check out the link I have provided.