short sale deficiency judgment

Asked by Jerry, 20020 Wed Feb 3, 2010

I am in the process of short selling my property in Washington DC. Is there a good, reputable real estate attorney or organization that I can contact to help me negotiate away my deficiencey? I want to be protected legally as much as I can so that 5, 10, or 20 years down the road my lender or a collection agency does not come after me for the deficiency $$.

Answers

5
Sally K. Han…, Agent, Elm Grove, WI
Thu Feb 4, 2010
We hope that your realtor has a team that includes an attorney for your short sale...if not...ask him to make sure that the offer and settlement are reviewed by a lawyer prior to closing.
Gerard Dunn, Agent, Chevy Chase, MD
Wed Feb 3, 2010
It is important that you find someone local - that knows DC law, as each state and sometimes individual jurisdiction have different laws that may affect this situation.

I have had good luck with Federal Title and Escrow in Wisconsin Avenue - near the MD border. Ask for Todd - one of the partners. He can either answer your question quickly - or refer you to someone who can.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Gerry Dunn
Associate Broker
Weichert Realtors
Potomac, Maryland
Richard Leci…, , Tucson, AZ
Wed Feb 3, 2010
I just wrote a blog about deficiency judgements.
Gerard Dunn, Agent, Chevy Chase, MD
Thu Feb 4, 2010
Good Luck, and let me know how it goes!

Gerry Dunn
Associate Broker
Weichert Realtors
Potomac, Maryland
Jerry, , 20020
Wed Feb 3, 2010
Hi, I could not find your blog.

Gerard, thanks for the tip and contact. We are screening a few real estate attorneys in the DC, MD, VA area...we think we found one, but in case she does not work out, we will call Todd.

thanks!