ok im in need of some serious advice!!! so this is what happened.we got a letter saying that the property we rent has ben forclose , so i contacted

Asked by Kim, Hayward, CA Tue Jun 15, 2010

our landlord and she said that it was all false and that she was still th elegal owner. the papers we recieved said otherwise so after contacting the agent from the new managemnt he told us that it was BANKED own and that our landlord was no longer the legal owner..he offered us the " Cash for Keys" and we decided to take it . So innitially we were suposed to vacate the proprrty on the 17 of june and turn in the property and get our money to hellp us relocate. but today June15 we were informed thta our landlord is againg the legal owner of the house.but we moved out our belongings. the landlord does not want us there .because we didnt believe her..i believed the papers and took advice from the agent ..now we have no place, no money to relocate, and we are lost for what to do..
any advice will be really appreciated.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Eric M Burge…, , San Diego County, CA
Wed Jun 16, 2010
Tough situation - several things can be done. The answers below offer great advice - contacting an attorney should be something you do immediately. Second, are you in a lease for a term or month-to-month? Third, if your June rent was paid to the landlord, you are good for this month at least. If you are in a lease, the landlord must show damages to try and evict you regardless of how they 'feel'.

Go to the this website for reference on your rights as a tenant...http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml.

A phone call to the Real Estate Agents Broker (Boss) wouldn't hurt either. You were given wrong or false information, a property doesn't typically become banked owned and then go back to the owner, very unusual. Good luck!
0 votes
James Gordon…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Wed Jun 16, 2010
Kim did you pay your June rent to the owner of the property? The first thing that you need to do is contact an attorney to help. Tenants have all kinds of rights in California but not paying your rent is not one of the rights. Sounds like there was a big mess and you need help to straighten it out.
Just one side comment I sure would not want to be the agent that offered you cash for keys and then told you never mind we can not pay you.
0 votes
, ,
Wed Jun 16, 2010
This sounds like a horrible ordeal. What does your lease say? Do you have a lease? You really need to find an attorney who can answer your question for you. Maybe your city or county government has someone you can talk to.

All the best,
0 votes
Essex Mortga…, , Santa Rosa, CA
Wed Jun 16, 2010
Well I will let you know that you most definitely have tennant rights .The Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act has been passed to assist tennants in these cases as well as the cash for keys program that was put in place to assist all parties in relocation fees however myself or anyone in the real estate industry has to be very careful in what they suggest for you to do ... as they do not want to end up as a party to the lawsuit as well.So I would direct you to a lanlord and tennant rights attorney who has experience with evictions and foreclosures in the state of California.If you do not have one feel free to contact me at your convenience and I will give you the names of a couple I have done business with in the San Francisco bay area.Jeffrey Martino Young aat Essex Mortgage Bank in Santa Rosa,Ca. 95404 toll free 1-877-870-2676 ...
0 votes
Mike Bryant, , Sebastopol, CA
Tue Jun 15, 2010

I would suggest you contact an attorney who specializes in foreclosures and tenants rights. Contact your local BAR association and ask them for the names of some attorneys that may be able to help you.

Best of luck.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more