my house went into foreclosure. an investor approached me to purchase the home.there was a lean on the house in my deceased fathers name. do i owe it?

Asked by Mike, 91367 Tue Jan 4, 2011

I have been sued with a warrant in debt for the amount of my deceased fathers lean. Am I legally responsible for this debt. The house was in his name and I was living there to care-give for him before he died.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Tue Jan 4, 2011
You say "MY HOUSE" and then you say the house was in your fathers name, which is correct? If it was all in your fathers name then you are not involved. If he left it to you he also left any liens on it to you.
1 vote
Sara Mehrpou…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Jan 12, 2011
Hi Mike

Sorry for your loss. You should definitely speak with an attorney. If you need assistance from a realtor, then feel free to contact me.

Sara Mehrpouyan CDPE
Rodeo Realty
Woodland Hills Real Estate
0 votes
Richard Schu…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Jan 6, 2011

Contact an experienced real estate attorney asap. This cannot be answered on a forum like this. Let me know if you need a recommendation.

Let me know if you have any questions.


Richard Schulman
#1 Listing and Selling Agent
Keller Williams West LA
0 votes
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Wed Jan 5, 2011
Mike, you need to get in touch with a lawyer.

When your dad died the home likely due to a Will passed over to you along with debts.

Good luck.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Cheryl Garner, Agent, Valencia, CA
Wed Jan 5, 2011
Hi Mike. I agree with what the others are telling you. You should speak with a Real Estate attorney. Only they can advise you correctly regarding your situation.

If I can be of further assistance, please call me at (661) 255-3335.

Cheryl Garner, Mortgage Expert
Fairview Mortgage Capital, Inc.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Jan 4, 2011
At this point it's really in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in trust & estates and or real estate--he/she can best advise as it relates to your specific situation--then go from there--most professionals do offer a free consultation, or if you cannot afford one, contact your local Legal Aid Society for a pro bono attorney--free.
0 votes
Sally Grenier, Agent, Boulder, CO
Tue Jan 4, 2011
This is more complicated than can be resolved on a trulia message board. Sounds like you may need to get an attorney involved. Did your dad have a will, or is his estate tied up in probate? Good luck to you.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more