if i live in an apartment complex and i have received an eviction notice from the clerk of courts, how long do i have before i MUST be out w/ 3 kids?

Asked by Momof3angels, West Palm Beach, FL Fri Jan 7, 2011

i received the 5 days evection notice on 1/1/2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Craig Fialkowski’s answer
Craig Fialko…, Agent, Wellington, FL
Fri Jan 7, 2011
The notice should say you have 5 days to respond to the notice of eviction, if you feel the eviction is not correct. Once the 5 days is passed, the landlord will receive a final order from the judge, and the landlord will schedule a time to meet at the property to change the locks and secure the property. Probably within 10-15 days the Sheriff will be at the door.

Chances are if your case is in the courts, and you fill out an application to lease somewhere else, the landlord will run a backround check and find the eviction. You may have difficulty locating another apartment.
2 votes
Myra Gouger, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Fri Jan 7, 2011
Read your notice carefully. The notice will tell you what date. If you ignore the date, the sherriff will come to the door and move all your things on the street and lock you out of your home. Make your decision immediately.
0 votes
Marsha Mayer, Agent, WEST PALM BEACH, FL
Fri Jan 7, 2011
Do something Monday morning! Go to the Court House. Pay something in good faith...to try and stop the eviction. Don't ignore the landlord. Try to make some arrangements with the landlord so that he/she stops the eviction. If you do nothing...you will be evicted.

Good luck in 2011.
0 votes
Mott Marvin…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Fri Jan 7, 2011
Mom of 3 ↗⁀☆҉

Your question comes at a very good time. Just last month my landlord and myself were evicted from an apartment [condo] in Miami Beach.

I've been a Realtor® for a tad over 30 years and have NEVER until then really understood or better said- experienced the devastation that can happen when the eviction takes place.

It is correct- a tenant AND any and all others in possession.

The owner is a client of mine and we are trying to complete a short sale. I was indeed occupying the apartment with his permission until the short-sale was completed. Naturally, not only is there a mortgage delinquency- there is also an unpaid balance of condominium association dues (maintenance).

To my rude awakening- after 5 days exactly- in my absence from the condominium unit.... EVERYTHING was THROWN OUT or most likely STOLEN by the CAM ~ Management Company. The management company and attorney representing the association are owned and operated by the same person... Lisa Cicero, Attorney and owner operator of a company called SFCM ~ South Florida Condominium Management.

When I returned "HOME" late that evening... The landlords furniture was broken apart and thrown about the patio area of the building. My 2 computers were gone, my birth certificate, passport, eye glasses leather jackets, cash, personal items [ALL ITEMS OF VALUE] were GONE! Strangely, what did remain were old clothing, older shoes and things of little to no value.

There is no doubt in my mind that my things were stolen- more than likely by the "FIRST RESPONDERS" to the apartment.

My estimate is that I lost $15,000.00 that day and need now to rebuild and replace everything. I not only lost my home, but also my business records, computers loaded with confidential client information, etc.

Learn from my experience.. YOU may have NO POWER... Learn your rights and be prepared for the worst.

Don't let what happened to me --- happen to you.

Mott Kornicki, Broker

Below is the link to the Florida Statute Chapter 83 ~Landlord Tenant Act
0 votes
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Fri Jan 7, 2011
If you have the money you owe your landlord, you can deposit it with the Clerk to stop the eviction.

If you're not able to pay your rent and fail to move out, eventually a Sheriff will escort you out and you may lose all of your belongings. The lanlord has strong rights in Florida and evictions happen very quickly.

Find another place to live asap...

Once you get settled, you may want to consider going to the Financial Peace university offered by http://www.DaveRamsey.com to help you with improving your financial position.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more