how would i find out the status of a foreclosure?

Asked by Jenn, Piscataway, NJ Thu May 8, 2008

Answers

15
Cynthia Nina…, , 01970
Thu May 8, 2008
There are many ways to find out information about a foreclosure:

* Check out your local newspaper - Foreclosure notices must be published in the newspaper (as per Massachusetts law)

* Visit the Registry of Deeds - With the property address you can find the foreclosure notice which contains the lenders information as well as the attorney handling the proceedings

* Contact the attorney in charge

* Contact your local Realtor

Hope this helps... :-)

Cindy Nina-Soto
Web Reference:  http://www.NinaSoto.com
thinz, Agent, Allenhurst, NJ
Mon Sep 21, 2015
If the house has already been foreclosed, I would call the lender for the mortgage foreclosed and ask to speak to the asset manager. If the home has not been foreclosed yet, I would call the agent who has the home listed (if listed) or check the county sheriff's foreclosure listing to check the calendar to see if listed with a foreclosure sale date. Tom Hinz http://www.shortsaletosell.com
Hezal and Vi…, Agent, Parlin, NJ
Fri Aug 28, 2015
Foreclosures are lined up based on the waiting period with the Township. Local Newspapers and Township should be the right source to find out the status of the foreclosure
Hezal and Vi…, Agent, Parlin, NJ
Fri Aug 28, 2015
Hezal and Vi…, Agent, Parlin, NJ
Fri Aug 28, 2015
Hezal and Vi…, Agent, Parlin, NJ
Fri Aug 28, 2015
Lynnkiaa, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Aug 18, 2015
It looks like you may be able to search for foreclosure filings by name and address in many states. Some states have additional information on those types of pages like where the property is in the foreclosure process. You can find the foreclosure timelines and process of the state in which the property is locates and anticipate the further status actions. http://ForeclosureIQ.com
Vishal Maher…, , New Jersey
Wed Oct 24, 2012
Foreclosures are lined up based on the waiting period with the Township. Local Newspapers and Township should be the right source to find out the status of the foreclosure.
livingsweet1, Renter, 33138
Sun Oct 7, 2012
The owner rented me her home pending a short sale to me. now she wants me out for no reason. how would i find out if its in foreclosure and if it is could she put me out
Victor Kamin…, Agent, Edison, NJ
Thu May 15, 2008
I strongly agree with Gene, don't mess with foreclosures if you haven't a clue what your doing, especially to the Realtors. It is not a good idea to represent you know about them when you have no experience.

First they are a pain in the neck and a lot more work than a normal transaction, if you buy directly from the seller or auction you risk taking on any debt the seller accumilated so title search and insurance if possible is mandatory!!!!

Short Sales pose the least amount of risk but are not foreclosures, they are more along the lines of
Pre-Foreclosure.

Need more information about the property before I can answer that question:
Is it currently listed with a real estate agency?
Are you dealing direct with bank or home owner?
How do you know the property is a foreclosure?
Finding the current status: Take the shoe-leather express directly to Visit your local county court house! RealtyTrac and other so called up to date foreclosure sites are lead generating tools for companies that sell leads to real estate agents and are usually not up to date with the latest data.

Good Luck...

http://www.RealRep.com
Web Reference:  http://www.MarivicRealty.com
Ron Tardif, Agent, Gainesville, VA
Thu May 8, 2008
Interesting but very important question. A foreclosure goes through many steps including the actual foreclose, auction sale at the courthouse. Once the bank has foreclosed on the property it is then a Bank Sale. The Bank Sale of the property is listed by a realtor working for the bank. That person should know the status of the bank sale. Always ask if there are any other offers on the property.
Billy Kingery, Agent, Rocky Mount, VA
Thu May 8, 2008
Many websites include foreclosures. Unfortunately, they may not include the most recent information, which would include the status, as of the day you are looking. We are located in Franklin County, Virginia and foreclosure notices are printed in The Franklin News Post and The Roanoke Times. You may wish to visit the Franklin County Court House, where you may search the property address and find the foreclosure notice which contains information about the lender(s) and the attorney handling the case. An experienced REALTOR may be helpful, as well.
ruth sprinkle, Agent, brookhaven, GA
Thu May 8, 2008
Depending on where the house is located, you can start with realtytrac.com, to see if it's an active listing. If it's in Georgia, contact me, and I'll give you more specifics on where to do research, and of course, you can always call your favorite real estate professional!
Amy Olier, , Biloxi, MS
Thu May 8, 2008
Many times, I have clients call me asking when "this house that is being foreclosed on" will be on the market. The answer, maybe 1 - 8 months depending on if it is a VA, FHA or other type loan. We have homes on the coast that have been winterized for over 3 months and they have yet to reach the market to be able to be purchased.

Check out HUD.gov to see your local FHA foreclosed homes, then call your local Realtor to help you through this process.

Amy Olier
Century 21 Bay South Realty, Inc.
(228) 697-2816
Nicola "Nick…, Agent, Hackettstown, NJ
Thu May 8, 2008
RealtyTrac.com is a great place to start.