how do i find foreclosures and auctions in my area?

Asked by Charlotte, New York Sat Apr 30, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sat Jul 7, 2012
Realtors are responsible for clearing Shortsales and REOs:
Contact a Realtor.
0 votes
Cathy Lambert…, Renter, outside atlanta ga
Sat Jul 7, 2012
I have quite a bit of antiques,I live in canton cathy_goldsberry
0 votes
Joe Sorrenti…, , Buffalo, NY
Sat Apr 30, 2011
There are 3 different types of properties that I THINK you are inquiring about; Properties that are for sale but the people are behind in their mortgages, properties that banks have foreclosed on and took position of and properties that have liens due to back county, state or federal taxes (or a combination), or have been seized and will be sold at auction.
Many times properties that are behind in mortgage, taxes, or other liens are listed for sale with a broker. However, not all are, especially if people are still living there and there is a nasty divorce going on, multiple liens, etc.
County, State and Federal foreclosure sales are announced in the local Law Journals and many times are not listed. Properties that have been foreclosed on by banks or a third-party will many times be listed in the local ML system. You have to be careful with tax foreclosure sales because they many times they are sold with a Quit-Claim deed and you assume the title as is. This also limits the buyers to only cash buyers. Bank foreclosures will usually clear up the title and provide you with a referee's deed.

In purchasing property like this, your closing costs are more than a regular "arms-length" transaction because YOU may have to pay for the update of the Abstract of Title, Survey, Deed Transfer Tax etc.
I recommend that you contact a Real Estate Attorney who has experience with foreclosure transactions in our area and can give you the proper advice regarding the purchase of such a property.
Joe Sorrentino
Associate Real Estate Broker - MJ Peterson Real Estate
0 votes
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Sat Apr 30, 2011
Hello Charlotte,
A local real estate agent in your area can show you foreclosed properties in the areas that interest you.
Real estate auctions are usually posted in the local paper about a week before they occur.
Here's a link to the tax services for Erie County that includes information about real estate auctions there:

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
0 votes
Marie Souza…, Agent, Centerville, MA
Sat Apr 30, 2011
Call an Agent or look in the newspaper, they are published there.
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Apr 30, 2011
When it comes to any foreclosure information, don't rely on online listings as some may be inaccurate, nor updated; rather, consider working with an agent of your own, he/she can provide listings that suit your needs, can provide any necessary information, keep you updated as new listings arrive onto the the market, schedule showings, etc.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more