,the house i am renting will be foreclosed in one month,a realtor came today and said they wanted to show the house. can i tell the realtor no?

Asked by Im A Renter, Bend, OR Wed Jan 25, 2012

Answers

16
Michael Ford, Agent,
Fri Sep 13, 2013
short answer...yes, with proper notice and at reasonable times.

additionally, there are federal law that mandates time periods for renters to vacate after a foreclosure sale. that legislation provides that leases survive a foreclosure. tenants can stay at least until the end of a bona fide lease, and month-to-month tenants are entitled to 90 days' notice before having to move out.
, ,
Wed May 22, 2013
This question is 1 1/2 year old.. But for the sake of other readers I will answer this.

1. Read your lease agreement, if you are ever found in this situation. What does it say regarding possible foreclosure, your deposits, etc.
2. Talk to your landlord, that is if he or she is actually talking to the lender and knows when the eviction notice will be posted bu the local sheriffs office.

I am sure many of us want to say NO.. Because it is truly not the renters fault who has paid his or her rent on time, why the landlord didn't pay the mortgage. Being a renter in that predicament is horrible. I would also see what rights you have for compensation for having to move.

Any one in this situation I would advise you speak to your landlord and perhaps ask for 2 months free in rent as a trade-off to showing the home to potential buyers. This way it'd be a win-win for all.

Have a great day;

Christina Solorzano;
CEO & SR Credit & Mortgage Consultant of
Everlasting Credit Repair
Making home ownership more than a dream...
Retired Mortgage Banker
http://www.everlastingcredit.com
Fred Jaeger, Agent, La Pine, OR
Mon May 6, 2013
The answer resides within your lease. Check it for a "Quiet Enjoyment" clause. You may be able to refuse showings, at least without proper notice.

Check your lease.
Molly Brunda…, Agent, Bend, OR
Wed Nov 28, 2012
I realize I'm very late to this party but just in case others have this same question and are using these answers as a resource, I wanted to put in my 2 cents. Having just listed a home with a renter that did not want to allow showings, I learned a lot. Dave Sutton, thanks for posting the link to the tenant's rights, because the answer is found there. For those of you that answered NO, be careful. I consulted a real estate attorney and they pointed me to this section: "A landlord may enter your dwelling for the following reasons: to show the unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagers, tenants, workers or contractors (90.322). Generally, your landlord must give you 24 hours notice before entering your premises."

If the showings become unreasonable and the tenant feels that their "quiet enjoyment" is being infringed upon, they can refuse entry. However, if the tenant repeatedly refuses access and the landlord/seller feels that the tenant is interfering with their ability to sell the home, they can get a court order and/or sue the tenant for losses caused by their failure to cooperate.

This is the information I received from a real estate attorney. Please consult your own attorney and do not take my answer as legal advice!
Steve Quinta…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Mon May 14, 2012
You can tell the realtor anything you want. The real question is what are your legal right and responsibilities. Once you know what they are you can decide how you want to answer the realtor.
Im A Renter, Renter, Bend, OR
Tue Feb 21, 2012
by the way , my appologies if my name offends some of you . but it seems the only ones that are offended are the ones with unsure answers that need to learn to be a proffesional like our Oregon realters, i wont mention names Bill ekelwhatever from saspirila floooooreeeda. who has to mention even as a renter, even as, let me enlighten you on something Bill, i was a homeowner for twelve years and i mean own, out right i owned 1 home and was financing (buying or making payments on two others )until my wife, wooops i mean ex wife .who reminds me alot like yourself Bill. and was a loan processor and a mortgage broker, did fraudulent loans for people ,that couldnt afford what they were buying ,she and thousands of others ran this country into the ground so the people that actually worked there ass off to make a retirement for themselves couldnt get descent loans like someone such as you would probably promise them, so yep im JUST a renter and my name on this web site . Well Billdo ,it represents all realters that think just like you, But no worries and no bothers to me , since you are JUST a realstate agent from Florida, Woops im sorry . i mean ,Lives in Florida, and is from Jerusalem.LOL Billdo............PS. Tell Tubbs and Crockett That Tony Montana is alive and well up in Gods country. you got that my lil friend, lmao,haha
Im A Renter, Renter, Bend, OR
Tue Feb 21, 2012
this is in regards to Mr John Walkers answer (by the way any bodyreading this that is looking for a qualified realstate professional , well look no further than Mr John Walker himself ,I believe his honest and unbius desicions are that of someone who studys there line of work to become a true proffesional, and actually i feel that Amanda Dyer
Greg Barnwell,and Dave Sutton
are all as honest as they come ) Mr John Walkers answer to the question was,Is there a sign in the yard? If not, there is no short sale going on . there was a sign in the yard .but it was pushed over by someone , not me, i think it was the guy that kept coming to the door and posting a notice on the door and taking pictures, but the realestate agent, name i wont mention , accused me of doing it , so there is a sign, you just cant see it, Because it is face down in the field, i have another question in regards to alot of realters opinions on something but i will ask it in the questuions page.
Wayne Olson, Agent, Portland, OR
Sat Jan 28, 2012
The best thing you need to do at this point is to have a conversation with your landlord.

Now with that said, if the house really is for sale, then, yes, you must allow access to the property for showings to potential buyers - BUT with at least 24 hours notice from your landlord.

If notice has not been given, then you can refuse entry. However, as has been mentioned below, the best outcome for you is to get that home sold before foreclosure. That's your best bet at staying in the property if that's what you plan to do long term.

Dave Sutton, Agent, Portland, OR
Sat Jan 28, 2012
http://oregoncat.org/community/alliance-of/tenants/C11/ is the "Renter's Rights" page of the Community Alliance of Tenants, one statewide tenants rights organization. The phone number for their Renter's hotline is also on that page.
Amanda Dyer, Agent, Bend, OR
Wed Jan 25, 2012
You do not have to allow the realtor access.
Greg Barnwell, Agent, Bend, OR
Wed Jan 25, 2012
Well, your landlord should have advised you ahead of time at the very least. In Oregon 24 hours notice has to be given to you before showing.
John Walker, Agent, Bend, OR
Wed Jan 25, 2012
Absolutely. You dont have to let anybody show it. Tell them to have the seller call you. Don't let a pushy Realtor (including those below) try to bully you into anything. Is there a sign in the yard? If not, there is no short sale going on .
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Jan 25, 2012
Inappropriate name.....

Of course you can decline anyone entering your home, even as a renter...but the agent is not your enemy. They are acting on behalf of the present owner, who would like to sell the property probably as a "short sale" before it is foreclosed on. This may be an arrangement that could be beneficial to you....if a new owner is purchasing a rental property. Leaving you in place as a renter would make their purchase even easier.

Our recommendation is to certainly work with your schedule and availability when it come to showings but don't take a position that could be counter productive to your own needs......ask some questions and get some information before taking a position.

Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Wed Jan 25, 2012
There is so much we don't know.
For instance, is the name you use appropriate? Are you baiting?
Is the question fabricated to create some secondary outcome that has no relevance here.

As a human being, doing what you are considering doing, (in your probable fabricated story) to the homeowner is reprehensible.
It is my hope that shame is something you still have the ability to experience.
Ann Ryan, Agent, Doral, FL
Wed Jan 25, 2012
You can tell the Realtor no, but you might want to think about it. If you're a renter, you may benefit if this foreclosure takes longer than the one month deadline. One way you might get the deadline extended is to have someone put in an offer for a short sale. The way to get that offer might be to agree to showings. But you can set some rules - reasonable rules, to control the situation. Say, Saturday mornings 10-12. It should be at least a few hours, and you should NOT be there during anything but opening the door... so the Realtor and the client can honestly discuss the potential of the house. Oh, and try to organize your stuff so that the house can be seen.

That said, one month is not a lot of time...
Roland Vinya…, Agent, Sprakers, NY
Wed Jan 25, 2012
To answer this perfectly, I would need to know more. But I would say a qualified "yes, you'd have to allow access". That does not mean at times that are difficult or very inconvenient for you. Think of this: the person he is showing it to could become your next landlord.