33004 dania florida,house sold to fannie mae..here's tricky part..have a VERY small house in hollywood florida (broward county) we inhertied .

Asked by Zaltatune, 33004 Fri Feb 25, 2011

inherited from wifes aunt..owned free and clear however 3 years behind on property tax,since we were unable to 'homestead" that property so it is rather high for us..approx $4000.00 per annum..I am also in a slip and fall lawsuit with a large corporation ..i have a witness when i sustained injury and it is likely i will be awarded something..should i declare bankruptcy before the lawsuit? will they get the "other" small house if i do declare...can I declare bankruptcy now,keep the small residence to live or sell..and what about a future cash settlement from the lawsuit? VERY confused as to what to do to safeguard what we have left and try to "start over".I am currently disabled 45 y/o male with a heart condition..have a letter corroborating from head of cardiology from the entire hospital district..any advice is greatly appreciated.still in process of application for SSI and other assistance..broke,destitute..need help thank you...

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Feb 25, 2011
Consider consulting with an attorney beforehand, he/she can best advise as it relates to your specific situation; accurate advice prevents future problems.
1 vote
Nadine Mauro, Agent, Lake Worth, FL
Sun Feb 27, 2011
As the other agents said, this is definitely a question for a Real Estate Attorney.

If you would like a referral to an attorney, please get in touch with me.

Good luck to you.
0 votes
Joan Tole, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fri Feb 25, 2011
I second her answer more emphatically, this is obviously LEGAL ADVICE, and we as Realtors cannot give legal advice. Most definitely consult your attorney! and good luck with everything!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more