33004 dania florida,house sold to fannie mae..here's tricky part..have a VERY small house in hollywood florida (broward county) we inhertied .

Asked by Zaltatune, 33004 Fri Feb 25, 2011

inherited from wifes aunt..owned free and clear however 3 years behind on property tax,since we were unable to 'homestead" that property so it is rather high for us..approx $4000.00 per annum..I am also in a slip and fall lawsuit with a large corporation ..i have a witness when i sustained injury and it is likely i will be awarded something..should i declare bankruptcy before the lawsuit? will they get the "other" small house if i do declare...can I declare bankruptcy now,keep the small residence to live or sell..and what about a future cash settlement from the lawsuit? VERY confused as to what to do to safeguard what we have left and try to "start over".I am currently disabled 45 y/o male with a heart condition..have a letter corroborating from head of cardiology from the entire hospital district..any advice is greatly appreciated.still in process of application for SSI and other assistance..broke,destitute..need help thank you...

Answers

3
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Feb 25, 2011
Consider consulting with an attorney beforehand, he/she can best advise as it relates to your specific situation; accurate advice prevents future problems.
Nadine Mauro, Agent, Lake Worth, FL
Sun Feb 27, 2011
As the other agents said, this is definitely a question for a Real Estate Attorney.

If you would like a referral to an attorney, please get in touch with me.

Good luck to you.
Joan Tole, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fri Feb 25, 2011
I second her answer more emphatically, this is obviously LEGAL ADVICE, and we as Realtors cannot give legal advice. Most definitely consult your attorney! and good luck with everything!