Your recommendation for Real Estate Investing Strategy!!!

Asked by Kevin, Melbourne, FL Thu Sep 27, 2007

I am planning to purchase couple properties, turn them into rental and wait for the right time to sell - buy and hold strategy but I have but I have couple of questions:
1) Which kind of property, condo vs single homes, would have bigger return in the long run (5 yrs down the road perhaps) ... and why?
2) Location, location...location, which market would be more promissing Orlando or Brevard county? and why?

thanks,
Kevin

Answers

10
Marco Santarelli’s answer
Marco Santar…, , Indianapolis, IN
Sun Nov 4, 2007
Hello Kevin,

The answer to your question is as wide as it is deep, and it can literally fill a book!

I’ve made and lost millions in real estate and have taught people for free in seminars on how to systematically invest in out-of-state investments. So in an effort to give you a compass and a little direction:

1. Assuming your plan is to hold the property for 5 years or longer, consider areas that have economic stability, as well as population and job growth. Do not invest in areas that display any stagnant economic factors. This is very important.

2. Make sure that the property will carry itself given your down-payment capacity. That means that whatever you put down on the property, it must produce a net Operating Income sufficient enough to cover your debt-service (mortgage payments) with some left over. Look for properties that have a capitalization rate (cap rate) of at least 7.0% or more.

3. Try to buy real estate that gives you immediate equity on your purchase. Although all of our real estate investment properties give you positive cash flow, we strive to find deals that provide immediate equity too. This is not as hard as you might think if you know where to look and how to structure the deal.

4. Regarding your single family home versus a condo purchase – I lean towards the single family home because historically they have fared better in appreciation that condos, and they are usually easier to sell when you plan to exit out of your investment. I would also suggest you consider duplexes as part of your buy-and-hold portfolio.

5. Last, but certainly not least, seriously consider the tremendous opportunities available to you in out-of-state investments. Again this is a subject matter that can fill a book all by itself.

This is very brief answer to your question. You are welcome to call me if you would like a little more guidance on making your decision.

Continued Success,

Norada Real Estate Investments
(800) 611-3060
http://www.NoradaRealEstate.com
Barry Lynn M…, , Trussville, AL
Sun Nov 23, 2008
Special Investment programs available

If you have looking for a safer way to invest and don't know where to begin give me a call and I would love to discuss options.

High lights

* Earn 10%-17% on your money
* Short term investment 9-18 months
* Exit strategy in place
* Investment backed by individual properties
* Minimums as little as $30,000
* Principle Owner involved on all sides of the transaction to insure exit plan
* No large deals so $100k will be backed by 2-4 properties verses 1

Give me a call or send an e-mail for more details and full program high lights
Mark Palace, Agent, Satellite Beach, FL
Sun Dec 2, 2007
It is very hard to predict the bottom. However, please read the article at the following link to get some insight on the 2008 housing prediction from the National Association of Realtor's chief economist: http://www.floridarealtors.org/NewsAndEvents/n2-111407.cfm. Why are you interested in finding out when the Brevard County market will hit bottom? Are you waiting to buy? Are you in the market to sell? Palace Properties International is headquartered in Indian Harbour Beach, FL, and we specialize in the Viera, Suntree and Melbourne areas in addition to the beach side. Feel free to contact us.
Mark Palace, CEO/Founder
Palace Properties International, Inc.
http://www.PalacePropertiesOnline.com
321.773.5611
321.704.9305
Mark Palace, Agent, Satellite Beach, FL
Sat Oct 27, 2007
Kevin: Our firm specializes in real estate investing. My vice-president and I are both real estate investors ourselves and own various rental properties here in Brevard County, Florida. There are specific criteria that we use to determine whether or not a piece of real property is a good investment or not. Each individual real estate investor creates his/her own such criteria. Much of the criteria setting process has to do with one's specific and individual risk-taking threshold. We would love to sit down and discuss with you our real estate investment strategy and our recommendations for you. Feel free to contact us.

Mark Palace, CEO/Founder
Palace Properties International, Inc.
http://www.PalacePropertiesOnline.com
321.773.5611
321.704.9305
Matthew J Bl…, , 33410
Sun Dec 2, 2007
Kevin, As to which area to purchase I would recommend a Full-Time Professional Realtor could guide you for the right choice. As far as the financing goes before you purchase I would recommend you look into a 1031 exchange. This can really help you later on with your taxes when you sell and buy more properties.
Placing the ground work first is the most important.
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Tue Oct 2, 2007
Since you are considering buying more than one, you might consider buying a duplex or even a triplex or fourplex. Up to four units can be financed with as little as 20% down if you have great credit and personal income. (required to assure the lender you can handle negative cash flow in case of a vacancy) - I reccomend 30% for obtaining best rate and terms. If you put 30% down and buy cheap, you can avoid negative cash flow when you have a single vacancy (one out of the four) and have decent positve cash flow when its fully occupied.
Antonio, Agent, Tampa, FL
Mon Oct 1, 2007
Orlando is a great aerea, but i'd look into Tampa where prices are more "flexible" check my foreclosure corner.....and the investor page also.
Perry Hender…, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Sep 27, 2007
Cash flow, location, and tenants. My dad always told me to buy the cheapest in the neighborhood and that has worked for me to...
Christine Bo…, Agent, Gainesville, FL
Thu Sep 27, 2007
Your search should be defined by what "type" of tenant YOU are wanting? Students, Seniors, Vacation Properties? Decide what type of rental/tenant you are wanting - and that may dictate where you buy/invest. I work in a University town with a large medical community. I am not familiar with Orlando or Brevard.
ian cockburn, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Thu Sep 27, 2007
Kind of property is all dependent on location....taxes, schools, etc.
Web Reference:  http://www.iansellsnola.com