Foreclosure in 94546>Question Details

Ernesto J. S…, Home Buyer in Casto Valley- Hayward...

Where can I get a list of governmet Tax Properties?

Asked by Ernesto J. Sanchez, Casto Valley- Hayward area Sat Mar 8, 2008

There is an online auction company that regularly holds online tax lien sales.
If you have never done it before, then it's not as easy as it sounds. The things you need to know are enough for a 2-day class-- such as doing homework before you bid, going to the county court house to research on the properties you plan to bid on (often just to find out the day before the auction the homeowner has paid up on tax and the property is now taken off the list! After all that
research work!), and then you have to go through the legal process (such as quit claim) to fix the deed (lawyer's fees!)..There is no recourse if you find something wrong with the property later, and there is a redemption period for the homeowner to pay up and take the property back! I was once interested in bidding, but not any more, and have resigned this to the pro's in this area.
I have been an investor myself for 17 years, covering the whole Bay Area from Alameda County to Sonoma County. There are a lot more criteria in shopping for investment than for your own home, due to the business aspect, financing aspect and landlordding aspect. I am a RE sales agent with all that investors' experience and I cover the whole Bay Area.
Fran Lai, Century 21 Mission-Bishop
You have your work cut out for you. Lots of home work and you need to understand each State has different laws pertaining to "Deed" Tax Sales and "Tax Certificate" Sale States. Further more who is the "Senior" lien position holder, the IRS?
Check with County Assessor Office. You can find contact information online. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 22, 2008
I'm sorry, I have another similar question to add. Does those program selling on TV work? It is about "Government Tax Lien Foreclosures by John Beck."
Ernesto: You're a quick enough user of the internet to pose the question to Trulia - jump online and subscribe to any one of several companies which report tax lien sales reoutinely. These services are free, so you won't be paying for this information. If your interest however is driven from the notion that you'll be able to secure one of these properties as an investment - I would urge you to connect with someone trained in the acquistion of investment properties. Keep in mind that the pool of investors has grown in direct proportion to the increase in REO and Short Sales. Finding the information is always the easiest of the steps - knowing what to do with it is another, and how to naviagate a flooded market with investors and inventory is a job in it self. Last week while speaking with a client he made the comment 'I had no idea how much time would be taken up by this process'

Investing in Real Estate is without a doubt one of the wisest decisions a person came make for their financial future, but it can also be a time consuming and exhausting.

I wish you the best, but consider a relationship with one Realtor who will help you naviagate the field. Good Luck.
HI Enersto,

DO you mean the tax lien properties? Check with the Assessor Office of the city. You can check online too. Type in Assessor Office in Hyaward in Google search. You can find any city online. You can go to the City Hall and visit the Tax Assessor Office and ask for the lists of t properties with tax default. Good luck.