What does notice of default mean?

Asked by I Takimoto, West Hills, CA Tue Jan 24, 2012

Answers

10
Carlymeo, Home Seller, Fremont, CA
Mon Feb 8, 2016
A Notice of Default is a letter from the lender to the borrower that they are in default. They have a certain number of days to pay the amount + legal fees.

Generally speaking, a non-judicial Foreclosure process formally begins when the trustee records a Notice of Default (NOD) at the county recorder's office. To learn more about the difference between judicial and non-judicial foreclosure, and the procedures for each - http://foreclosureprocess.net/foreclosures
SKY CREDIT SOLUTION is the best credit repair company, I was devastated when I discovered my score dropped to 510 from 745. I tried to figure out how it happened because I try as much as possible to keep up with my debt, not until I was told about an unpaid utility bill from3 years ago, the utility company never called or emailed me. The mix up affected my mortgage, I reported to FTC but nothing happened. After a google search directed me to SCS, they cleared my debts and increased my score to 780. I’m indebted to them. Here is their contact email: skycreditsolution247@gmail.com or text/call (620) 399 6316.
Flag Sat Jun 15, 2019
DO YOU NEED AN AFFORDABLE LOAN TODAY?

We have provided over $1 Billion in business loans to over 35,000 business owners just like you. We use our own designated risk technology to provide you with the right business loan so you can grow your business. Our services are fast and reliable, loans are approved within 72 hours of successful application. We offer loans from a minimum range of $10,000 to a
maximum of 20 million.

Do you need a genuine loan Online to secure your Bills? Starts a new business? Do you need a personal loan? or Business loan, Apply for a quick and convenient loan to start a new financing of your projects at a cheapest interest rate of 2%. Are you in need of a Loan of any amount? Has the bank or broker refused your Loan Application because of your Low Credit Scores or Lack of Collateral Security? and you are in need of an urgent Personal Or Business Loan to re-finance your business, pay your bills, settle your bad credit problems, buy and own a house of your own? etc. CONTACT US NOW VIA EMAIL:(landonluishomeloans@gmail.com) call/text +1 (929) 377-6816

Landon Luis Home Loan is the first lending platform to leverage artificial intelligence and machine learning to price credit and automate the borrowing process. Landon Luis has demonstrated strong credit performance and maintains one of the industry’s highest consumer ratings according to leading consumer review sites. Apply for any kind of loan and any amount of your choice today by reaching us through email: (landonluishomeloans@gmail.com) call/text +1 (929) 377-6816

Landon Luis believe Everyone deserves a better financial future if they strive for it. We’ve built a marketplace and willing to help the less financial privileges get the loan they need to get back on their feet with an affordable interest rate of 2%.

Our services include the following:

*Farm Loan
*Investment Loan
* Commercial Loan
* Construction Loan
*Truck Loans
* Personal Loans
*Business Start up loans
* Debt consolidation loans
* Car Loans
* Hotels Loans
* Education Loans
* Mortgage
*Refinancing Loans
* Home Loans

NOTE:Bear in mind that it will only take less than 72 Hours to process your file is 100% Guaranteed no matter your Credit Score.

Yours Sincerely,
Mr. Landon Luis
+1 (929) 377-6816
We are certified and your privacy is 100% safe with us. Worry no more about
your financial problems.

Get your instant loan approval
Flag Sat May 25, 2019
Do you pay the Default and then have to take over mortgage payments?
Flag Thu Oct 25, 2018
Lanamee, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Aug 20, 2015
Notice of default a notice to a borrower with property as security under a mortgage or deed of trust that he/she is overdue in payments. If the amount owed, plus costs of preparing the legal papers for the default, are not paid within a certain time, foreclosure proceedings may be brought against the property.
Reference: http://ForeclosureIQ.com
When you pay the Default do you have to take over the mortgage payments?
Flag Thu Oct 25, 2018
when i look under foreclosure.com, my landlord address comes up what as a tenant should i do ?
Flag Mon Feb 8, 2016
Sara Mehrpou…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Jan 24, 2012
Notice of Default or NOD is filed by the homeowner's mortgage company when they are 90 or more days late on their mortgage payments. It is part of the foreclosure process. Some properties which are listed as Short Sales may have a NOD recorded against it by the lender. The seller is trying to obtain a fair offer that their lender will accept which is less than the balance that they owe on their mortgage, that is why it is called a Short Sale.

Sara Mehrpouyan CDPE
Specializing in Short Sale & Foreclosure
Direct 818-903-2040
Rodeo Realty
Dre License #01712757

Get New Property Listings by Email Here: http://www.NewLosAngelesHomeSearch.com
Yuri Katz, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Feb 9, 2012
I'd be a bit more careful with definitions when it comes to crossing state lines, Lauryn.
In California, if we had to approach the court every time default occurs, nobody would be closing any sales these days. Assuming all loan documents were properly prepared, executed, acknowledged and recorded, Notice of default simply needs to be delivered and recorded on title to the property. Three months after, if the default hasn't been cured, the trustee sale / foreclosure sale / auction of the property can be scheduled as soon as 3 weeks after proper service, recording and publication of notice of trustee sale (NOS). Thus, by the book, you have about 4 months from the date of the notice of default to the actual public sale of the property.

When you get your loan from a bank or other institutional lender, you'll have to sign along with other documents two most important papers: Promissory Note that is an actual promise and commitment to repay the debt that would also specify the terms of such loan including interest rate, how interest is calculated [believe it or not our public is very uneducated and really thinks it's a simple interest computation :) ], number of payments, any penalties for early repayment or late payments, etc.; and Deed of Trust that ties that Promissory Note to the land or real property (with its detailed legal description) making it a collateral and giving authority to the trustee of that Deed to sell the property in the event of default. The Promissory Note specifies exactly what constitutes the default and how it can be cured.

Although I personally was able to postpone such sale date on numerous occasions for my sellers when it came to negotiating a settlement with lenders through short sale, it is a very weak position to be in and, of course, the outcome is never guaranteed. Obviously, the stronger the offer the better your chances.
Ruby Sprowl, Renter, 92507
Thu Jun 21, 2018
what does notice of default mean
Caitlyn Bees…, Home Buyer, Murrells Inlet, SC
Mon Mar 19, 2018
What does a notice of default mean?
Bonnie Hunter, Renter, Elizabeth, NJ
Mon Feb 8, 2016
hello my landlord has a notice of default with his property how i as a tenant be alarmed?
I grew up in Elizabeth NJ what a small world right on Marshall ST-
Flag Tue Sep 6, 2016
don't worry be happy
Flag Mon May 23, 2016
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Wed Jan 25, 2012
Quite simply. Your days are numbered if your the homeowner. If a potential buyer start getting your ducks in a row and hire an experienced REO expert familiar with the local market.
Lauryn Eadie, Agent, Reston, VA
Tue Jan 24, 2012
Per Wikipedia:

A notice of default is a notification given to a borrower stating that he or she has not made their payments by the predetermined deadline. It dictates that if the money owed ( and sometimes an additional legal fee) is not paid in a given time, the lender may choose to foreclose the borrower's property. Any other people who may be affected by the foreclosure may also receive a copy of the notification.
Depending on your state regulations, a notice is often required to be sent to the property address as well as any primary residence (if it is an investment home) known for the borrower.

The notice is filed with the local court in which the property resides and becomes public knowledge.

Once a Notice of Default is received, again depending on the state, you still have time to re-claim the home by making a payment in full for the mortgage amount. You can also try to contact your mortgage company/note holder and see if there are any other options to re-instate the loan to active status.

If you have more questions regarding a situation you may be in, you should contact a local real estate attorney to answer your questions.

For more information about buying a property that has been served a notice of default, you can check out my response to a question from a few days ago:

http://www.trulia.com/voices/Property_QandA/Since_there_are_…

You can see my response in the middle...
Laura Coffey, Agent, Santa Clarita, CA
Tue Jan 24, 2012
Definition: Lenders file in the public records where the property is located a public notice called the Notice of Default. In some states, the Notice of Default is also attached to the home, generally on the front window, like a big scarlet letter. It states that the borrower is in default, behind in the mortgage payments, and if the payments are not paid up, the lender will seize the home.
In California, lenders typically do not file a Notice of Default until the borrower is at least 90 days behind in making payments. When a borrower has missed 2 payments and is 60 days behind, at that point many banks send out a 30-day notice of intent, which they are required by law to do before filing a Notice of Default.

Lenders must then wait 90 days. During that 90-day period, the borrower has the right to make up the back payments and reinstate the loan. After 90 days, the lender is required to publish a notice in the newspaper for 20 days and then may sell the property to the highest acceptable bidder on the courthouse steps. If no acceptable bid is received, the trustee then conveys the property to the lender.
Web Reference:  http://www.laura4homes.com
If a home owner lists a house a few weeks after receiving the notice of default, does that mean the home will sell for substantially under the prices of other, similar homes in the neighborhood? Will regular buyers even look at the house or will the house have to be sold to an investor who offers 30% - 40% market rate?
Flag Wed Oct 10, 2018