Should we keep our home, or move?

Asked by jessica_billings, Florida Fri Aug 24, 2012

I'm going to be 18 in September, and live with just my mom. After my dad past away last year, I get $1,000 from the government each month from the government. We bought a house about 10 years ago and it's now just run down and falling apart; while we struggle to pay the $1,000 a month mortgage. I hate living here, and so does my mom. But she refuses to move! She has too much pride from "owning her own home" that she refuses to even look into foreclosure (since we will never get what we paid for this house back), and moving into a nicer, cheaper rental home. Not only that, she wants me to live here after I graduate so I can pay rent so she can afford to stay here. Since she is using MY money to pay for the mortgage, should I cut her off so we'll have to move? I know it sounds mean and cruel to do to my mother, but she's unreasonable.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Amerevision, , New York, NY
Wed Sep 5, 2012
Our services may provide a solution that is amenable to both of you. Here is a brief description of what we do. Please visit our website for more information and to learn if you may also be eligible for our not-for-profit program, where we donate our services.

Amerevision provides legal financing to select homeowners, investment and commercial property owners who seek to dispute the validity of their mortgage debt via the legal forum.

The services we provide optimize our clients’ likelihoods of obtaining meaningful restructurings of the terms of their mortgage loans, and/or significant principal reductions. We apply fine-tuned underwriting, structuring and management processes to client files, enabling our clients to resolve their disputes proactively, economically, and favorably.

Amerevision selects cases for funding where the subject mortgage loan is defective, fraudulent or wrongfully-originated, whether the borrower is the plaintiff or defending a foreclosure. Prior to application acceptance, we engage in a thorough analysis of a potential client’s real property and loan documentation, identifying flaws in mortgage origination, closing, servicing, securitizing and recording.

Amerevision funds litigation by paying a client’s attorney directly for services performed. Our funding is non-recourse, which means if a client is unsuccessful, we are not repaid the monies we have expended on their behalf. Amerevision is paid only if a client settles their case successfully, and our fee can be paid in manageable monthly installments.

Amerevision invests strategically in the success of its clients’ cases: Amerevision's interests are entirely aligned with theirs.
0 votes
Margaret Ama…, Agent, Sarasota, FL
Sat Aug 25, 2012
Hi Jessica, Learn about the consequences of foreclosure in Florida before just walking away. There may be a better way called a short sale. Google this subject and or call 888-995-HOPE, the homeowner's hotline by HUD. Once you are informed, get a trusted family member involved to help you explain the best way out for you and your mother. It takes courage and support to leave a comfort zone and often we are blind to the alternatives. If the end result is doing a short sale, choose a Realtor who is experienced in short sales and possibly can get your mother qualified for a HAFA program which pays 3000, relocation expense. Remember, this takes effort and work but walking away is not a good idea.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Foreclosure in Holly Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more