New question yesterday morning I asked about my deceased landlord His wife spoke with us yesterday the house is going into foreclosure How long will

Asked by tinatinabedina, Lindenhurst, NY Sat Feb 2, 2013

it take for them to foreclose and I understand I have to be legally notified of the foreclosure and given time to remove myself from the premised

Answers

9
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Feb 2, 2013
tina.....

There is no telling the amount of time required to foreclose. It depends on the circumstances involved with the home and the level of motivation on the part of the lender. Remember....you have an obligation to the present owner to remain current with your rent until the foreclosure is final. The fact that the owner is now deceased could be a cause for delays....

James Gordon…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Sun Feb 17, 2013
@Maria the law also states that the tenant needs to prove that they are current on rent and continue to pay rent. The law is there to help people that fell into a problem not the ones that were a part of the problem.
Maria Cipoll…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Sun Feb 17, 2013
You are right, you need to be notify. On May 2009, the tenant at Foreclosure Act went into effect nationwide. It is applicable to properties that were renter-occupied at the time of foreclosure. This law clarify that leases survive a foreclosure and requires a 90 days notice to evict tenant after foreclosure. If the tenant have a lease for a specific period of time that has not expired, the new owner must honor the lease. Is is crucial that you speak to an attorney that you trust and get advice.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

Century 21 Tenace

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
Annie Torres, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Sat Feb 16, 2013
Yes I know a very good attorney. Please email me and I'll send you his contact.

Annie Torres
Licensed Associate Broker
Realty Connect USA
office 631-881-5673
fax 631-245-6002
atorres@realtyconnectusa.com
tinatinabedi…, Renter, Lindenhurst, NY
Sat Feb 2, 2013
i NEED TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS AN ATTORNEY THAT SPECIALIZES IN FORECLOSURE DEFENSE IN THE LINDENHURST COPIAGUE SUFFOLK COUNTY NY AREA FOR A FREE CONSULTATION
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Feb 2, 2013
Unfortunately none of us can say for sure how long it will take the lender to foreclose; consult with an attorney...
Ann Ryan, Agent, Doral, FL
Sat Feb 2, 2013
Tina, have you seen anything in writing saying that the landlord's wife actually now has possession of this house? The whole situation seems mighty weird to me.

I also think that you will be smart to go ahead and get the oil tank partially refilled if you can afford to do so, because no matter what the end result is, it will be a while, and being in NY without heat would not be smart in February.
Actually my fiance and the cops found him on wed deceased they were still legally married but havent lived together in over 10 yrs and she had keys to the house and was cleaning out the garbage and throwing out stuff I am not even sure if there was a will all I know is that she found out the house is in or going into foreclosure I live in suffolk county new york and people are telling me that it could take months or once the house is foreclosed and whoever gets the house the bank or whatever i can ask for cash for keys to get out of here quicker
Flag Sat Feb 2, 2013
Tammy Benkwi…, Agent, Somers, NY
Sat Feb 2, 2013
No one knows how long. The comments below are accurate. Yesterday many of us advised you I speak with your lawyer because you wrote that the new landlady was clearing out the home you were renting. Did you speak with your attorney? I still recommend doing this.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sat Feb 2, 2013
It will depend on how far along it is. in non-judicial sattes foreclsoure can be completed start to stop in under 2 months, It will depend on your state laws regarding tenant protections as how long they have to give you a notice to vacate. Not all states mandate the notify you there is a foreclosure even taking place. Once teh foreclsoure is finishedm, whoever the property is assigned to will contact you. At that time you can ask for "cash for keys" where they pay you to reloacte within a specified amount of time where you voluntarily leave instead of go though eviction which give syou relocating money. it is negiotiable so negotiate for a little more.
Scott I live in Suffolk County New York I already spoke with an attorney and my rent is current and I had advised my lanlord in writing we would live off of of secuirty for march and attempt to be out in april of course now he is deceased and we went from worrying about his wife getting the house and what would happen to the house is going to foreclosure I will though do as you suggest the cash for keys I need time to get money together to find a new apt anyway anything would help me since I am on social security due to disability Thanks for the help
Flag Sat Feb 2, 2013