Joan, Other/Just Looking in Raleigh, NC

My rental has been forclosed upon and I would like to move out now instead of continuing my lease and paying the bank. Can I do this?

Asked by Joan, Raleigh, NC Fri Jan 15, 2010

My landlord was pocketing my money for months and I don't know if I will get my deposit back. In the meantime the bank is saying pay us your rent now. I am not behind, only a few days late this month because I didn't know who to pay the rent to. I don't want to continue my lease with the bank. I would rather move out. Can I do this since my lease was broken and is there any recourse to get my deposit back?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jennifer Bra…, , Garner, NC
Mon Feb 8, 2010
I agree --get an attorney-- and bring not only a copy of your lease but any paperwork the bank has sent you and proof you have been paying rent to both the bank/landlord. Best of luck. If you need to move quickly let me know I would be happy to help :) Jennifer
0 votes
Susan Crawfo…, Agent, Hillsborough, NC
Fri Jan 15, 2010
Hi Joan! What an awful predicament you have been put into and I deeply feel for your situation. My suggestion would be to consult a real estate attorney with a copy of your lease in hand prior to doing anything. I have a wonderful real estate attorney on my team who has great compassion and I'm sure would be willing to talk to you. Her name is Linnie Causey and her phone number is 919-967-0010. Tell her that I referred you and ask her your questions directly. She's amazing and extremely knowledgable!

Good luck to you!! If there is anything I can do to help you, please don't hesitate to call/email!

Best wishes,
Susan Crawford, ABR, Broker, e-PRO
Triangle Home Crew Team Leader
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more