My landlord passed away 2 days ago he was separated from his wife for 10 yrs she shows up at the house yesterday and starts cleaning out the house

Asked by tinatinabedina, Lindenhurst, NY Fri Feb 1, 2013

My rent was paid up until the end of the month and I advised my landlord we would be living off the security in march since he was paying the bills on the house etc We are running low on fueld and his wife claims no one will deliver however the oil company delivered here a month ago Who do i go to about this

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Javier Menes…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Melville, NY
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Everyone below is correct. Get yourself an attorney ASAP!

Javier Meneses
NMLS #23130
Senior Loan Officer
Sterling National Bank
1 vote
Marcia Spenc…, Agent, Newburgh, NY
Sat Feb 2, 2013
As you have stated, you intended to move, I do agree with you... Retaining an attorney is not free and could be a process... You know what's best for you at this given your situation... Good luck!
0 votes
De Vonte Wil…, Agent, East Point, GA
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Hello! These situations can become very complex. I strongly advise that you protect your rights. As my fellow colleagues have suggested, you should retain counsel immediately. You should also review your lease, to see if there is a clause that states how the lease would continue, if at all, in this given situation. Again, seek the advise of an attorney as soon as you can.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you all the best,

De Vonte Williamson , LSA
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
0 votes
Jacques Ambr…, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Fri Feb 1, 2013
you definitely need to get an attorney. I'm assuming you have nothing in writing which will complicate matters further.
0 votes
Well his wife put fuel into the house today and spoke with us the house is going to foreclosure I am safe with my electric and gas if needed I will have the water turned to our names All I can say is this man i found out has 20,000 in a bank account and neglected to do rigfht My lawyer says it can take up to a year for them to foreclose I will be gone hopefully in 3 months
Flag Fri Feb 1, 2013
Steven Calap…, , 11757
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Sorry to hear about what's happening..

Get an attorney ASAP! That's the only solution I can offer my friend...

Steven Calapai
VP Operations/Marketing
Licensed Real Estate Sales Associate
Check out our "Homes On The Go"
mobile app available at your app store
absolutely FREE! Updates, Homes and Rentals
On The Go, right from you phone or tablet!
Westcott Group Realty
0 votes
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Fri Feb 1, 2013
An attorney and do it today. Take your lease and be prepared to supply your attorney with the wife's contact information.
0 votes
Maria Cipoll…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Get copy of your lease and hire an attorney that you trust to revew it, advice you and advocate in your behalf.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

Century 21 tenace
0 votes
Tammy Benkwi…, Agent, Somers, NY
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Call your attorney this morning. He will have to review your lease and can give you proper legal advice.

My understanding is that a landlord can't simply show up on your door step and start throwing your things out the door.

By the way, refusing to fill up the oil tank in February is really poor judgement. The pipes can freeze and the house could be severely damaged as a result.

Don't wait, call the lawyer this morning.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Foreclosure in Lindenhurst Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more