My husband owned a home with his ex-wife but we claimed that home on our taxes for two years. I want to qualify, will that keep from doing so?

Asked by Beckigirl, California Fri May 4, 2012

Answers

2
Dee Oliver’s answer
Dee Oliver, Agent, Bakersfield, CA
Fri May 4, 2012
Hi Becki,

I would suggest you contact a loan officer who can answer your questions. My personal opinion is if your name is not on the loan nor the home, you should be in a position to buy a home in your name. However, I am not a loan officer. If you want me to refer you to someone, please give me a call or email me. You can Google my name "Dee Oliver RE/MAX Magic, Bakersfield CA.
Walter 'Skip'…, Agent, Brea, CA
Fri May 4, 2012
Hi Becki,
You want to qualify for what?
A home mortgage. We were told that since my husband had done the taxes with us jointly and claimed the house that went into foreclosure, i could not qualify for a home loan on my own because i had benefited from that house that went into foreclosure. I have just never heard of that, is it a new law? I have never had a mortgage in my name at all.
Flag Fri May 4, 2012