My home was foreclosed on last year 2011. I just received a property tax bill. Who is responsible for paying the property taxes?

Asked by michelleryan48, 46383 Sat Nov 10, 2012

Answers

7
Mark Fleysher, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Nov 14, 2012
It's definitely recommended to consult with your attorney / CPA, as nobody here can provide you with a legal answer to this question.
Robert Adams, Agent, Henderson, NV
Wed Nov 14, 2012
Consult your CPA but if you have been foreclosed upon already then you are no longer the owner of this home and therefore not responsible for the property taxes any longer. When the bank that foreclosed on the home goes to sell the property the taxes will have to be paid through escrow prior to transferring title to the new owner.

Again, I am not a CPA or an Attorney and I am not giving accounting advice. Please bring the documents to your CPA to clarify.

I hope this helps.

Robert Adams
Broker/Salesman
The Adams Team at
Rothwell Gornt Companies
C:702-349-9175
O:702-932-8813
F:702-932-8826
RobertAdams@LVrealestateHELP.com
http://www.LVrealestateHELP.com
John Brassner, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Tue Nov 13, 2012
Nevada isn't a suburb of California. All real estate is local. Clark County property taxes are a superior and perpetual lien against the property and do not need to be otherwise perfected.

Note: I am not a lawyer and I've never played one on TV.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Mon Nov 12, 2012
NO, NO, NO!!!
You are assuming that the County filed a LIEN on the property:
I have seen where the Homeowner did not have IMPOUNDS and the County did not file a LIEN;
the County will pursue the Homeowner for the Taxes.
It happens!
Shella Jasmin, Agent, Henderson, NV
Mon Nov 12, 2012
When the bank forecloses on the home, they inherit all liens (that are not wiped out through foreclosure) and responsibilities that come with owning that property like utilities, landscaping, taxes, HOAs, SID/LID, etc. If you received a property tax bill, the county tax assessor may not have the address updated. You may want to give them a call just to make sure that the records are accurate.
You can check the mailing address they have on file for the property on the county website at http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/assessor/Pages/PropertyRe…

Let me know if you have any problems or need further assistance!

Mary Preheim
Realty Executives of Nevada
marypreheim@realtyexecutives.com
http://www.MaryPreheimGroup.com
702-403-3452
Mark Fleysher, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sat Nov 10, 2012
The current owner is responsible to pay any unpaid taxes on the property. So if the bank forecloses on you and transfer title away from you, they are now the responsible party for those taxes due.

Again, I'm not an attorney and I recommend that you speak with an attorney and your CPA.
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Sat Nov 10, 2012
The bank is responsible. if they own the property then they have to pay the taxes. And if they foreclosed on a home that had taxes due at the time, them they should have had to bring those taxes current when they took back ownership of the property. Property taxes follow the property, not the owner. At least that is my understanding, you may want to check that with a lawyer or call the town's taxation office and ask them. It's possible the town simply has not updated their records and sent the tax bill to the wrong person.