My fiance and I are looking to buy a house in the suburbs of chicago. What are some good up and coming areas?

Asked by Andy, Kalamazoo, MI Thu Oct 4, 2007

Answers

4
Eric Egeland, Agent, Buffalo Grove, IL
Sat Oct 13, 2007
Hi Andy,

It depends on price range, where you will be commuting to (no sense moving south if you work north & vice versa).

To be honest in this slower market, you may be better off finding something in a more established area anyway. The expected 'pop' in a developing area may not come for a few years until the market turns around.
Web Reference:  http://www.ChicagosAgent.com
Ruthless, , 60558
Mon Oct 8, 2007
I thing "good up and coming" implies risk of not already being good. In the suburbs you can have massive towns such as Naperville that can have excellent opportunities or really big mistakes. You have towns such as Lyons or Berwyn that I think are under-valued but could go either up in value because of location or down if crime and foreclosure/rentals take over. Personally, I would go with Oak Park or Brookfield. But that is just my opinion. I have lived in Chicago, Cicero, Riverside, Brookfield, La Grange, Western Springs, Hinsdale, Roselle and Schaumburg.
Ruth
Web Reference:  http://www.oak-park-il.com
Jeff & Heidi, , Rockford, IL
Fri Oct 5, 2007
Hello Andy,
It would definately help if I knew if you were looking in the nw, s, sw suburbs, etc.
There are some good options anywhere. The area around Joliet is one of the fastest growing in the state. There are some good areas in Dupage county, or if you want to go a little farther and buy more for less money there are some great areas in Boone, Dekalb, and Mchenry counties. Let me know if I can help any more.
Patti Pereyra, , Chicago, IL
Thu Oct 4, 2007
Hi Andy,

Can you be more specific with your question? The answer will really depend on your budget, the location (north burbs, northwest, west, south....?), and your lifestyle.

Give me a little more info and I'd be happy to help.