My dad co-signed for my brothers mortgage. To make a long story short, my brother lost his job, his wife left him, his kids were taken away, and he

Asked by Brenna6721, Oakford, PA Tue Jan 26, 2010

turned to drugs. My dad got stuck with the mortgage. The trailer it was for isn't even on the property; the company moved it and we don't know where it is. My dad is 65 and can not afford the payments. If he stops paying what will happen to him legally? Can they go after his assets?

Answers

5
Gita Bantwal, Agent, Jamison, PA
Thu Feb 4, 2010
Please talk to an attorney. You can check with your county and see if your dad can get free legal advice first and referral to an attorney.
Web Reference:  http://www.gitabantwal.com
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Thu Jan 28, 2010
Talking to a lawyer is important. But it also is important to find out where the trailer is. Did the lender repossess it? The lender should be able to tell you. Was it moved because the rent for the land it was on went unpaid? The owner of that land should know. Was it stolen?

If you get no affirmative answers from the people who could legally move the trailer, it is time to contact the police or sheriff's department with jurisdiction. And, if it was stolen, you need to find out if the insurance was paid up when it was taken.

Ron Rovtar
Boulder, CO
303.473.1926
Erica Ramus,…, Agent, Pottsville, PA
Thu Jan 28, 2010
Yes, you need a good attorney. Please do not mess around with it yourself. Consult a lawyer who can help you deal with the lender.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Jan 26, 2010
This is a most unfortunate situation......

Don is on the mark with his recommendation to consult an attorney. This is a legal matter that would be best served by seeing an attorney.

Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Tue Jan 26, 2010
Your dad needs to see a lawyer. If the trailer was repossessed, there may be some offsetting value to it. Still, it's a bad situation to be in. He needs a lawyer.