Kassas Law in Costa Mesa is doing loan modifications but wants to be paid upfront. Can they still do that? I thought it was illegal now.

Asked by Jim Wilson, Long Beach, CA Wed Jul 27, 2011

anymore. This is a new firm that seems to know what they are doing, but I don't want to get scammed. Any advice or other options would be good.

Answers

10
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Tue Oct 2, 2012
Jim,
\
Please do not pay one dime upfront. If any company ask you to do so, loose their number.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Mfanisi Norm…, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Tue Oct 11, 2011
I believe by this time you do realize that paying anyone upfront for a loan modification is just unwise.

The best perspective I can give you is that I meet so many people who have lost their homes after relying on promises made by unqualified individuals who claim they have an expertise in the Real Estate Industry when in fact they are not licensed to practice Real Estate. Stay away from these sort of people; attorneys included.

Just as you would not visit a veterinarian to advise you about your dental health, the best advice and answer to this question is find a Realtor who specializes in your area of need. We are licensed. Our record is public information. We have very strict regulations that oversee our relationships with our clients and our peers.

You just can't go wrong when dealing with a well educated, well qualified, honest, and morally centered Realtor.
Dave Dickey, , Long Beach, CA
Thu Oct 6, 2011
For those of you needing Loan Mods, I work with a reputable and experienced company. They never charge a dime unless they have investigated your situation and can accomplish an actual Loan Mod. And only then do you decide if they will work for you. No money out of your pocket unless you chose to have them do the work.

Contact me
Matthew Bart…, Agent, Glendora, CA
Wed Aug 17, 2011
Dear Frustrated Homeowner,

While I appreciate your knowledge regarding SB94 you clearly have not read the inital question by Mr Wilson. Mr. Wilson in his dealings with Kassas Law in Costa Mesa is being asked to pay up front for services that have not been rendered. That is not allowed under the law. While I'm not an Attorney, as a Realtor I have the knowledge and obligation to inform homeowners that this practice of receiving payment in advance of services being rendered is not allowed under law, even for a Law Firm. Furthemore, in my initial response I mentioned that I had no dealings or background knowledge of this company in particular. I personally referred Mr. Wilson to a Non-Profit Corporation that assists Homeowners by educating them in the Modification process, helps them determine if a loan modification is right for them, and lastly puts the Homeowner in contact with a HUD counselor to walk them through the process with absolutely no fees being charged. I'm sure you are aware there are no guarantees when it comes to the loan modification process. Homeowners should not have to pay up front for services that most of the time do not translate into a loan modification. Homeowners need to know there are options for them to consult with knowledgeable professionals in the modification process with no fee's being necessary. If you would like to find out more about H.E.L.P. please visit their website at http://www.freehomeownershiphelp.org/. Best wishes!

Matt
Frustrated H…, Home Owner, California
Wed Aug 17, 2011
Wow, you guys are truly lost in the interpretation of SB94. I am tired of the misinformation on the web. I find it hilarious that the perpetrators of the misinformation have no legal authority to interpret such important legislation, I suggest that if you are not fully versed in the interpretation of SB94 that you stick to what you know in your own profession. With that being said:
Non-Legal entities providing loan modification services may not charge for services in advance ot successful modificaiton and acceptance by homeowner of proposed modification terms. Law firms and lawyers may not charge for services in advance of work but may charge in phases and bill for those phases once confirmation of the services were completed. Senator Calderon did not want to prevent homeowners from being able to hire an attorney in the event of trying to stop a foreclosure or simply have legal representation during the negotiation process.
The sole intent of the legislation was to prevent abuse. Lawyers are licensed and supervised by the California Bar and are permitted to charge for services once services are completed.
I am not an attorney nor am I affiliated with Kassas Law, I am a homeowner who is very familiar with Senator Calderon's legislation and been very close to the bill since its inception and passage.
David Fox, Both Buyer And Seller, San Clemente, CA
Mon Aug 8, 2011
The firm Kassas Law Group in Costa Mesa has several complaints and negative reviews in several websites. Kassas Law Firm is not with the Better Business Bureau and appear to charge alot for a loan modification. I suggest a firm that does not charge upfront fees in California.
Ryan John, Home Owner, Santa Ana, CA
Thu Jul 28, 2011
It is completely illegal to charge up front for any type of mod. If I were you, I would go through Lighthouse Consulting Group in Santa Ana, CA. They have a great Better Business Bureau rating and have built up quite a great web presence. From experience I know that they are at the top of their game.
Carmen Busa, Home Owner, San Diego, CA
Wed Jul 27, 2011
Kassas Law has obviously sent out press releases to flood the internet. However, they are not with the Better Business Bureau. That is one way companies avoid compaints, by not registering. They cannot collect upfront for a loan modification, period. Even as a law firm. There are some other blogs that have more info about them. I would avoid these people unless you can actually meet with the attorney, even then it is risky. It looks like Kassas Law used to be Mesa Law, then changed their head attorney and their name. I would suggest HUD or NACA to get some help with your modification at no charge.
Matthew Bart…, Agent, Glendora, CA
Wed Jul 27, 2011
Hello Jim,

I'm not familiar with this company. That being said, no firm may charge you up front for their services on a loan modification. I recommend that you take a look at the website for H.E.L.P. (Homeownership, Education, Learning,Program), http://www.freehomeownershiphelp.org/. Chris Sorenson is the President of this Non-Profit Corporation. There goal is to help Homeowners like yourself determine if a loan modification is right for you and your family. You will also gain a better understanding of how a loan modification works so that you can make the best possible decision for you and your family. Lastly, there is NO FEE to work with H.E.L.P. and should you wish to try and qualify for a loan modification, H.E.L.P. can refer you to a HUD Counselor who will work with you at NO CHARGE as well. Should you have any questions please feel free to email me or call me at (626)221-8252. Good luck to you and your family!

Warmest Regards,

Matt
Trope, Home Owner, Santa Barbara, CA
Wed Jul 27, 2011
i've been searching the internet for info on KASSAS law firm other than what they themselves have put up.
I need a loan modification too. I don't know if these people are trustworthy. Plus, they are asking for money up front. I am going to a HUD meeting tonight.