Is this a nice area in Simi Valley to live?

Asked by Smitty, San Fernando, CA Mon Jan 28, 2008

My husband and I have 3 kids in grade school and are considering relocating to Simi Valley. We are currently looking at homes in the "Texas Tract" of Simi Valley. Is this area considered a nice place to live? Is the local School, Big Springs Elementary, a good school? Everyone seems to choose West Simi Valley but we seem to be drawn more to this area. Are there any drawbacks to this area?

Answers

3
Alisa, Both Buyer And Seller, Simi Valley, CA
Sat Mar 8, 2008
I have lived in Simi my whole life (30 yrs). I grew up in the Texas Tract. I lived on Austin, my grandparents lived on Galveston (the first homeowners when the tract was built in the 60s) and my aunt lived on Austin and later moved to Travis (all in Texas tract). Another uncle ended up living right below the tract in some apartments too. They all seemed to stay in the neighborhood.

It is a great tract! I first attended Belwood, which has long been closed and then transferred to Big Springs. It is a very good school and is now a "closed" school to out of boundary students. It acutally was a school I was going to try to get my kids in when my son didn't make it into the Hollow Hills lottery. Hollow Hills is a fundamental school in the middle of the valley (south side).

Anyhoo - I think the Texas tract is a great neighborhood. Many older residents who have been there for years and newer families moving in too. Many of the homes got a face lift after the earthquake of 94, which helped the older neighborhood come into the present ;)

The homes are good sized and most have very large yards. Many of the homes have been remodeled and that is a plus. Price from what I know is probably in the 500K range to 600K (for the nice remodels).

It is a nice neighborhood I'd highly recommend - we tried to purchase there too when we bought our home 7 yrs ago but it was just like 30K out of our budget - though we found a nice home across from Hollow Hills Elementary (an excellent school) - which we are now likely going to sell w/in the next few months due to a possible relocation - if you are interested let me know ;)

Good luck on your move to Simi - it is a great town to raise kids in and still is holding on to a small town feel - though its just minutes from the very busy San Fernando Valley.
Diantha Shaf…, , Killeen, TX
Thu Feb 14, 2008
I lived and worked in the Simi Valley and Oak Park area for the last 9 years. You specifically asked about the school - here's a link to the school district website page with the school report cards so you can check out the statistics on Big Springs and compare it to other area schools. West Simi Valley has newer home tracts and those are attractive to many people too. The Texas tract tends to have a lot of long time residents which is often an indication of homeowners being "happy" with where they live. If my partner or I can assist you, please let me know.
Bonnie Sterl…, Agent, Simi Valley, CA
Mon Jan 28, 2008
I think Simi Valley is a great place to live but I live here. I have two children 9 and 1. My son attends a lottery school but a schoolmate of his lives in Silverthorne and the families children all switched to Big Springs school this year. The parents are very particular and seem very happy with the school. I have heard only good things about the school but in every case you will find people who will agree and disagree. I do think that Valley View, the area middle school for Texas tract, is the preferred middle school of all three middle schools. Middle school is a tough age in a kids life and probably worth some forward thinking consideration. I wonder what attracted you to Texas Tract. The homes are moderately priced, the lots tend to be big and since it is such a big tract there are a lot of areas that are particularly good "pockets" of this tract. For example, I took a buyer to see homes just last week and we drove down one street and they didnt like the street, too many RV vehicles and didnt like the neighbors in the surrounding 5 homes. On another street, Texas, we drove up to a foreclosure and all the surrounding neighbors looked great to the buyer. The house was a favorite pick too. Since you are from the valley, odds are that you will drive over the hill to see kids friends, even go back to family doctors and maybe you even have work over that way. I think if you come from the Valley, you will shave 15 minutes from your commute time to get on at Stearns vs down near First. I dont know the neighborhood that you currently live in but I think that you should go with your gut. I had another buyer who relocated here from out of state when they looked online and in person, they identified a tract that they really liked but decided that the price range was just a little too much for them. They bought a home where they really didnt want to live and within less than two years, the moved to the tract they originallly felt at home in. So, I think people know where they feel at home. If you would like further assistance locally, it would be my pleasure to assist you. Please contact me at the web site below.
Web Reference:  http://www.SimiLiving.com