Is there an automatic stay of eviction for foreclosed homeowners in NJ and if so how long can it be? Please help me out here--bless you all.

Asked by Angelica, 07458 Mon Jan 17, 2011

Please tell me if this is true--that you can file for a stay of eviction after you know the eviction date--how long could it last for if there were extenuating circumstances? Please help me out--bless you all.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Bob Movin-On, , Hartford, CT
Wed Jan 19, 2011
There is only a 10 day redemption period in NJ which means after 10 days if you can not come up with what the bank feels you owe them then the highest bidder at the auction (usually the bank) can take title.
Now, "will someone come knocking at your door any time soon after that?" is a big unknown, I have clients that were never even approached for as many as 24 months.
Yes if you have enough money to hire a lawyer, the lawyer can usually get the court to give you time but it is costly and for what, save the money and put it toward a deposit on a rental, hire a mover and move on.

Bob Patrick
Buy a home after foreclosure expert
Movin-On LLC
Helping families/people that have lost their homes get back into a new one in as little as 6 months
0 votes
Maria FORSBE…, Agent, FORT LEE, NJ
Mon Jan 17, 2011
If your home has been in a sheriff sale usually there is a Realtor whom will come to knock on your door to find out what your plans to move out are. they put up some notes and you should call the numbers on those notes. Then you can usually negotiate some time in exchange of the keyes.
As far as I am aware they do need an order to remove you with a sheriff and usually if you do not respond to the Selling realtor that is their next step. There usually is a 60 day period after the sheriff sale before bank moves on to evict. If it is a 2 family home and there is a lease they have to start making paymnets to the bank and they bank has to honot the terms of the lease.
You have to file a motion to stay with the Court if you already have an eviction note. Only a Judge can give you more time. Best bet would be to contact an attorney since I can not give any legal advise and I am not fully aware of the circumstamces. Good luck.
0 votes
XXXX XXXX, , Tenafly, NJ
Mon Jan 17, 2011
I'm not sure there is much you can do. If you have a court date, you should go, and you should probably hire an attorney to represent you if you can.

If the eviction has already been scheduled, call the Bergen County Sheriff's Department at 201-336-3500. They will be able to tell you if you can get an extension.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more